Safety First

Hotrod30

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Dec 22, 2007
Central New York
I was going to put this in the thread about fencing but I didn't want to hijack the thread.

Most Kids Who Drowned Were Supervised, Study Finds
June 4, 2004

The kids are giggling away as they splash each other, practice holding their breath, and bob in and out of the water in a game of Marco Polo, while you take a lap, get a little sun, or chat nearby with some fellow parents over a cool drink. Everything seems OK - perfectly safe. But the fact is that most drowning accidents happen right under the noses of adults who think children are being adequately supervised.

According to a recent study by the National SAFE KIDS Campaign, nearly 90% of drowning deaths in children between the ages of 1 and 14 happened under the supervision of another person, usually a family member. (The study defined supervision as "being in the care of another individual, not necessarily in their direct line of sight.")

The second leading cause of unintentional injury-related death (after car accidents) for children 14 and younger, drowning claims the lives of more than 900 kids in the United States every year. Little ones ages 4 and under account for 80% of home drownings, most often in swimming pools and bathtubs (the drowning rate for children ages 4 and under is two to three times greater than other age group).

Although even the most skilled child swimmer can drown, the SAFE KIDS study found that 55% of parents think it's OK to let a child swim unsupervised in some circumstances. And many parents who say they do supervise their children when swimming say they're doing other things as well: talking to others (38%), reading (18%), eating (17%), and talking on the phone (11%).

SAFE KIDS' study also discovered that parents aren't:

properly fencing pools - Sixty-one percent of parents who own a pool or spa said they don't have the recommended four-sided isolation fencing that completely separates the pool area from the house and the rest of the property; and 43% said they have no self-closing or self-latching gate.
requiring kids to use Coast Guard-approved personal flotation devices, or PFDs - Many tweens - ages 8 to 12 - said they never wear a life jacket when riding on a personal watercraft (50%) participating in water sports (37%), or on a boat (16%). And one in five parents mistakenly think air-filled water wings can protect their child from drowning.
teaching children how to swim - Almost 75% of drowning victims studied by SAFE KIDS didn't know how to swim. And 37% of parents surveyed said their children have never taken swimming lessons, even though most parents said they know that kids should have their first lesson with a certified instructor by age 8.

Although it might seem like drowning occurs only when children are left unattended, the majority of kids who drowned in swimming pools were last seen in the home, had been in the care of one or both parents, and were out of sight for less than 5 minutes, according to SAFE KIDS.

And if you think you'd recognize when your child is drowning by the sounds and motions of distress he or she would make, think again. Drowning often happens quickly and quietly - there's little noise to alert parents that the child is in danger. Every second can mean the difference between life and death - loss of consciousness happens within 2 minutes after the child goes under and irreversible brain damage occurs 4 to 6 minutes after submersion, in most cases.

Young children are especially vulnerable - they can drown in as little as 1 inch of water. That means drowning can happen where you'd least expect it - the sink, the toilet bowl, fountains, buckets, pet bowls, birdbaths, wading pools, or small bodies of standing water around your home, such as ditches filled with rainwater.

Cut/paste from: http://kidshealth.org/research/drown.html

Hotrod, great post!!!!!!

SAFETY IS THE #1 PRIORITY FOR ANYONE WHO OWNS A POOL!!!!!!

I've posted this story before but I'll do it again to make sure the point gets made:

One summer when I worked for a pool co in Va, I lifeguarded a community pool for the last month of the season (they had trouble keeping a lifeguard for more than a couple of weeks - bad neighborhood). All went without a problem until Labor Day (the last day of the swim season). As SOP, come 3:00 I started draining the pool in preparation for winterizing it - the kids could still swim, but the water was being drained, and still circulating - the effect was a huge whirlpool. The kids were jumping off the stairs and getting swept around the pool :party: . I honestly don't think I was lax in my watching the pool, but I was talking with some of the mothers when a little girl shouted out that her sister was drowning! I ran to the edge of the pool, pulled the girl out by her bathingsuit and administered CPR. I can't describe how frightening it was! Fortunately my training kicked in because I don't think I had a single conscious thought - I just reacted. I was able to revive her quickly and all turned out well.

As this is a post on safety, I STRONGLY!!! recommend that all pool owners go down to the local YMCA and take the lifesaving course they offer!! (and if you have kids, let the "Y" teach them to swim) I can tell y'all from experience that when an emergency situation arises, the brain shuts down and all you can do is act on 'instinct/ experience'

Let's keep our pools fun and trouble free :-D

Two great posts! Thanks Hotrod and Waste. Perhaps these posts, and others like them, could be made into a stickie for 'pool safety'. We just cannot get enough information on keeping our pools a safe place for everyone. :)

I actually like when someone posts these types of messages periodically because I don't read the stickies anymore, and it is easy to get lax with regards to safety. It's good to be reminded on the importance of these things and they can't be said enough.

Thanks,

Riles

I agree with you, Riles. Just can't be reminded enough. Since most newbies are constantly asked to "read all the stickies", this would be a good idea for them, too. Just my .01 , I mean .02 (sorry duraleigh). :wink:

http://www.joshtheotter.org/index.php?option=com_wrapper&view=wrapper&Itemid=91Here is a link to a website created by a family in Lincoln, Nebraska (where I live). I do not know the details, but my recollection from the newspaper two years ago or so is that this family had an in-ground pool with proper fencing and maybe even an alarm. Their son, Joshua, was two. During a family get together, everyone thought everyone else was watching the kids. For a very brief time Josh was not accounted for and was found in the pool. He died two days later in the hospital. Absolute tragedy. Unfathomable. In response, Joshua's family started a foundation and to spread the word that water safety should be introduced into every home, especially with a pool but not only if a pool, at an early age. They think water safety should be part of every day discourse with young children, like not crossing a street without an adult, etc. They have written books, have coloring books, a video, and song all meant to reinforce water safety for young children. They are also very big on "Float for Life," which says to teach the very youngest kids how to float, even if they don't learn to swim. You can order books or even download some things if you want to start these discussions with your kids.

I have four year old twins and no other kids. Thus, the "crowd" at our pool are 5 years of age and under. We have two rules we tell the kids and their friends. First, you may never get into the pool unless an adult is IN the pool and has looked you in the eye and said you can get in. Even with our tiny pool, it is sometimes chaotic and easy to miss a kid getting in or out. This rule has had 100% compliance thus far. It is amazing that even in the third hour of swimming, with kids in and out, they all line up and ask "may I come in" and actually wait for me to hear them, look at them, and say yes before they put a toe in the water. The Second rule is you have to ask and be given permission before you get on the ladder to get out. This is mostly because I want to be sure they are safe on the ladder. There is a third rule (no peeing) but we worry about that one after they've heard and understood the first two rules.

We generally have 3 other kids over at a time, each with one parent. We make a big thing of announcing the rules at the beginning of each pool gathering - huddle up and repeat the two rules. Parents are required to attend the huddle with their kids. After that everyone remembers for that day and it has been smooth sailing for us so far. I could make a list of a bunch of other rules I would also like to enforce, but with this age group, the fewer the better for full compliance, so that's it -- two rules and anyone who breaks them will be banned. If either of my kids breaks either of those two rules they have been told the pool will be drained. Hope they don't force my hand, because I'll do it.

Happy and Safe swimming to everyone this year, and may we never forget that even an outrageously sparkly pool is a danger if we become complacent when it comes to safety.

GREAT POST!!

I just want everyone to remember it only takes a few seconds for a person to be 'face down' in the pool :( You think you're on top of things and all of a sudden...

I prey that all here will take the rescue course from their local YMCA or similar - I swear to God it matters!!

We require every child under the age of 10, whether they can swim or not, say they have had lessons or not, to wear a marine grade life jacket in our pool and be supervised by an adult - line of sight suprevised. I keep an assortment of the marine life jackets in the pool deck box - no jacket, no swimming - too bad so sad. Children 10 to 18 require line of sight supevision - meaning the adult must be on the deck watching, not in the yard, bathroom, house, gazebo, etc.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
:bump:
As getting the pool up this year (finally) nears, I was reviewing safety posts so I am in the right frame of mind to have a giant bowl of water in my yard again with young kids. Bumping this for others to consider, too. Happy and Safe swimming!!

Ok, please don't take this the wrong way I am all for pool safety, but I have a real problem when people use statistics like the lack of safety fences, or no self locking gate when these devices may not be appropriate or necessary in all locations. For example a 4 ft fence around a pool (in a fenced in back yard) will do nothing to improve safety if there are no small children in the household, if anything it would be a potential hazard and slow response getting to the pool in case of an emergency. Realistically at what age does a 4 ft fence become nothing more than a minor obstacle 5 or 6, certainly no older than 8 or 10? Which then raises the point of what are children this young doing out on there own in the first place, drowning in a pool is just one of the many ways they could get killed.

Lack of self locking gates, again I know many homes with and without pools where the gates that access the back yard are kept pad locked and are rarely opened, who cares if they are self locking as long as they are locked.

Then there is that bit about teaching kids to swim, has our society really fallen to the point where you must have a certified instructor to teach people how to swim??? I know my son (now in his 20's) never took swimming lessons, but was jumping into the deep end of the pool and swimming the length of it when he was less than 4 years old. Who makes up this stuff, kids should have their first swimming lesson with a certified instructor by age 8??? How about instead every 8 year old should know how to swim.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.