Hayward Ecostar with Goldline Aqualogic PS-8

Dec 29, 2011
Hello Everyone,

This is my first post to the website. The information I have found here has been incredible so thanks in advance to my question.

I am planning on purchasing the Hayward Ecostar Pump, I am replacing a 3/4 HP Hayward Northstar. I currently run the system with the Hayward/Aqualogic PS-8. I have been told that the Aqualogic PS-8 automation system will not effectively run the new Ecostar and in order to realize the full energy savings benefits of the Ecostar I would have to upgrade to the Hayward Prologic PS-8.

Does it make sense to upgrade to the Prologic PS-8, do I even need this? Is there a way to upgrade the software on the Aqualogic?

Thanks!

Welcome to the site.

Tell us more about why you want to upgrade?
Tell us about your equipment?

If you're looking to help the electric bill and your electric rate is less than 20¢ per KWH then you're probably better off going with 2-speed vs. a Ecostar. I know that's not your question but wanted to throw it out before you made a commitment.

As far as the Aqualogic/Prologic issue, someone else with more experience on them will be along to offer advice.

Thanks for the reply! Yeah, the reason I want to upgrade is for energy savings. I live in the Sacramento, CA area and energy prices are very high (I don't have the exact amount but we are on PG&E).

My equipment is: 15K gallon salt water pebble bottom pool with attached spill over spa. Hayward 3/4 HP 115/208-230v Northstar Pump, (2) Hayward 2 HP Northstar Pumps (1 for waterfall, 1 for spa jets), Hayward T-Cell-15 Salt Cell, Sta-Rite 400K Max-E-Therm Heather, Aqualogic PS-8 with software version 2.43.

It seems that I am not getting all the benefits that the ecostar than perhaps a 2 speed pump could be a better option?

Thanks again.

The Aqualogic can support the EcoStar but it requires a software version of 2.66 or higher. The only way to upgrade the softare is to replace the main board but that can cost upwards of $500.

I had considered this same scenario but I decided to just replace the pump motor with a two speed as well as the impeller. This was far more cost effective than replacing the pump and controller even though I am in CA with energy costs close to $0.30/kwh.

With a 3/4 HP pump, as long as the wet end is in good condition, I would seriously consider just swapping out the motor for a two speed. The Aqualogic can handle that with just an extra relay.

Thanks for the info, that helps a lot. It sounds like even with software version 2.65 or higher the Aqualogic can only run 2 speeds on the ecostar. I would guess that you have to upgrade to the Prologic PS-8 in order to run all the speeds.

You may be right, if there are only 2 speeds than a 2 speed motor change could be the answer.

The way I understand it is that versions below 2.66 will only support two speeds but versions 2.66 and above will support all speeds. At least that is what a Goldline tech told me.

Is your goal to replace all of your pumps or just the circulation pump?

The goal is only to replace the circulation pump. I just don't use the other 2 enough to spend the money to replace them. Its interesting thats what you heard about version 2.65/2.66 I called Hayward today and they said the replacement board number was GLX-PSB-MAIN. All the specs seem to say that this has all the "codes" so I'm guessing that includes 2.66? However the tech told me I would need the Prologic in order to control all the speeds. Id like to know if there is a way to confirm this and if GLX-PSB-MAIN is the board that I need to upgrade to.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.