Any problem with opening pool in the winter?

TomAtlanta

Sep 10, 2011
Atlanta Ga
I am in Atlanta. I put the cover on the pool and had my pool guy winterize it a few months ago. Now all the leaves are off the trees. The main reason I saw for the cover is to keep falling leaves out of the pool. Is there any reason not to remove cover and open it up now? It is obviously much prettier with the cover off even though it is too cold to swim.

You'll still need to run the pump (not as long as in the summer) and do the routine maintenance stuff (test, add chemicals and such). With the water being cold it will keep the algae from growing quickly hence the need to maintain chlorine. You will also need to run the pump when temps fall below freezing.

The main difference with the cover off will be greater chlorine loss from sunlight, assuming you get sunny days and that the sun hits the pool in spite of the low angle during the winter. Nevertheless, between the colder temperatures and less/lower sunlight, you should find lower chlorine usage. With my pool water getting to 50ºF and with a mostly opaque cover, the chlorine usage is at 1 ppm FC every 1-2 weeks. Without the cover, I'm sure it would be quite a bit higher.

Tom:
Most people around me (west Atl) keep the cover on until the pollen ends in the spring (April/May). I'm sure you have seen the pine pollen turn everything to yellow around here and my water is no exception, even with the cover on. If you do reopen, get some skimmer socks ready for spring. Also, my pool seems to like to collect the ash from the neighborhood fireplaces and possibly the roads around here, so you might want to see what is collecting on your cover. There are many, including my brother, who never close and rely on the weather reports or freeze protection to keep the pool equipment from freezing.

So, to answer your question, it is up to you and what you want to deal with.

Did you winterize the pool or just cover it?

It was winterized.

Most people around me (west Atl) keep the cover on until the pollen ends in the spring (April/May). I'm sure you have seen the pine pollen turn everything to yellow around here and my water is no exception, even with the cover on

I forgot all about that. Thanks.

If you do reopen, get some skimmer socks ready for spring.

Will do. Thanks.

Tom, I am out in West Cobb and like you bought a foreclosure in the spring and had to a liner put in, luckily the rest of the equipment (filter, pump etc) was in great shape. I didn't winterize mine, run the pump a couple of hours a day, unless it gets below freezing, I added a "freeze switch" on my pump, it kicks the pump on when it hits a certain temp. I have it set for 32 and only had it kick on a couple of times this year at night so far. As far chemicals go, I have been using the BBB method found on this website and have used very little so far this fall/winter. I just stayed on top of the leaves and been vacuuming every couple of weeks. Now that all the leaves are down I might even be able to make it every 3 weeks on the vacuuming.

If you have not read through the "Pool School" section on here, I suggest you read through it and it will help tremendously, it sure helped me as a first time pool owner.

+1 what JJRocks said. I'm in the same general area as JJRocks and have been pool stored by seemingly helpful people, who actually know less than untrained monkeys (sorry about insulting the monkeys). So cavaet emptor , get a TF test kit to control your destiny, and a magnetic stirrer to make your life easier.

My brother has a vinyl pool and has left his open, similar to JJ, for about ten years with no freezing problems. He just likes the view and claims the work and money is about the same either way.

Like I said, mine is winterized. I have a safety cover and keep the water at least an inch below the tile. I dunno if the water level matters, but it is what I do. I close mine because I have a cover, I hate the leaves and want to minimize the pollen mess....but some leaves, bugs and pollen get under the cover. The dog thinks the cover is her personal sunning bed and short-cut, so I guess that is a benefit.

I have a 1969, 20 X 40 plaster; 36K with swg. I love my Nitro robot (or whatever it is) which seems to eat oak leaves without a problem.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I took the cover off the pool a few days ago because I am having a leak guy come figure out where my leak is. We shocked it, raised water level to top, cleaned it and turned on the filter. It sure is a lot prettier open than with the cover on. I think I will keep the cover off most of the time but maybe cover it up during the worst leaf fall and the worst pollen.

Do you need to do any chemicals other than enough chlorine to stop the algae in the winter?

Your pool is now technically open. All of your normal maintenance is back. The upside is with the cold, reduced sun (intensity and duration) and lack of use, it doesn't need as much as normal.

Since you added all that water to open the pool. I'd go ahead and test everything and make adjustments (remember to warm the water up to at least 70 degrees before testing CYA). Big water addition/removal can change your numbers dramatically. After that, you'll probably be very pretty stable.

I'm in Lilburn, just east of Atlanta, I kept my pool open all winter. I could bore you with all details of the little details, but I'll just say. FC use is super low and my pH has barely moved. So I only test once, sometime twice a week now. I'll add bleach about once a week.

One thing to keep in mind, you still need to keep an eye on the skimmers, pump strainer basket and vacuum. Depending on the weather, they can get full pretty quick. The wind can blow a lot of leaves and debris into the pool. Oh on that note, my filter pressure has barely moved up all winter. (except for when I tried http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/add_de_to_a_sand_filter :hammer: )

TomAtlanta said:
Thanks for the info

my filter pressure has barely moved up all winter.

That reminds me. I need to get a new pressure gauge. Where can I order on online?
Unless you're ordering something else with it, I would look for a gauge locally. Shipping will likely double to cost if you order it online. A local hardware store should be able to provide one, or a pool store. The pool store gauge will have the added benefit that you can get one with a ring that shows start pressure and time to backflush. But a hardware store gauge may have a larger face, if your vision ain't what it used to be.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.