Started out an Algea problem, now.....

dnor28

LifeTime Supporter
May 9, 2007
Cartersville, GA
HI! I am new to the site but have been doing lots of research and doing the BBB method on my new pool. We just had it installed at the end of march a 27ft round and 52inches deep. We have no had on problem with our pool water and I constantly tested the pool water, kept them at the ranges of ph 7.2, my cya around 40 to 50, my alk at around 120 to 150, and chlorine at around 4ppm to 5ppm. I would once a week brush the sides, and vacuum the bottom of the pool. Always had crystal clear water. Then I had to let it go on weekend cause I had a arts and crafts festival out of town. Thinking nothing would happen but it rained that weekend in my town. I was out of town and could not work on the pool was the reason for letting it go. Came home on monday and planned to work on it tuesday before work. Got up tuesday morning, and it was apple green. So I followed this procedure:

Shock to 15 ppm to 20ppm and keep it there with bleach.
Brush the sides daily and then vacuum daily.

I did this and the next day green gone. Just nasty cloudy water that looked like someone poured milk in the water. So here I am on sunday, still been keeping the shock to 15ppm but I don't have a good tester yet. I ordered a new one just not here yet. I can see the bottom finally but very cloudy water. How can get this cloudy out? Or should I just continue and be patient? Right now my levels are as follows:
tc 20ppm(just added more bleach)
ph 7.2
alk 120
stabilizer 40

Oh and forgot to add, that I have been running my filter (sand filter) 24/7 since I started all the shocking.

You're doing all the right things......just keep doing it.

Has your filter pressure increased since the water turned from green to cloudy? If so, remember to backwash.

Keep the Cl at shock level, keep the pump running, brush, and backwash your filter if needed. It'll turn back to clear soon.

duraleigh said:
You're doing all the right things......just keep doing it.

Has your filter pressure increased since the water turned from green to cloudy? If so, remember to backwash.

Keep the Cl at shock level, keep the pump running, brush, and backwash your filter if needed. It'll turn back to clear soon.

Thanks for the reply! I do backwash everytime I vacuum. Guess I am just getting worried that I wasn't doing something right :wink:

Depending on your pump run time/flow rate and your filter it can take anywhere from a couple of days to a week to clear the water of dead algae after a major outbreak. Running the pump 24/7 till the water clears is probably a good idea.

Just wanted to update on my issue. I continued to run my filter 24/7, while shocking at around 15ppm, brushing the sides daily and vacuuming daily. By that following thursday, it was almost clear. So I went and bought Polysheen Blue by Bioguard cause I didn't want to raise or lower any of my chem levels and also bought Skim Mor skimmer sock to help filter more of what was in the pool water (http://www.bioguard.com/water_enhancers.shtml). Oh my what a change to my water it did. It is so crystal clear and all the pollen/crud that I was fighting with in the water is gone. I totally swear by the Skim Mor sock on the skimmer basket.

I have to say, as a testament, that the BBB method honest to god works! Thank goodness I found this method before I got my pool installed and decided to go with it, instead of going with the Baquacil product I had started to use. I was scared to death of getting my pool installed and not being able to ever use it cause I didn't know what I would be doing. But I whole heartedly recommend that people research into taking care of a pool and use the BBB method. I not only can keep this up with my pool, but can also spend time in it and enjoy it!

Funny story, my neighbor next door used to be a "pool boy" in his younger years. He told me that I will probably have to drain my water and start over again since I have algae. I said, nah I will be able to fix this no problem. He laughed at me and said "good luck". Of course, I was laughing inside saying to myself "yeah we will see". So he has since then said "how in the heck did you do that" and I laughed and said "hmmm, this coming from the guy who laughed and said 'good luck' and used to be a pool boy." LOL I told him of the BBB method and of course he thought I was "crazy" for using bleach, but admits that I talk and show a strong case of its use. :roll:

Glad your pool cleared up. I don't think you're giving yourself quite enough credit for your hard work and discipline to keep the Cl levels up and backwashing and brushing. My guess is your efforts did a lot more to clean your pool than the skimmer socks or the polysheen. Now you're all set for a trouble free Summer!! :lol: :lol:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.