Magnetic Stirrer

Oct 14, 2009
I have heard a few things about using a magnetic stirrer while testing the pool water. I use a Taylor test kit. Please explain to me how a magnetic stirrer works and if it is worth purchasing? If it is, where is the best place to purchase one? Also, are there other things you have to purchase to use it.

Thanks for your help!!

Keep in mind I have an agenda in that I sell the stirrer. When they first were introduced by Taylor, I thought they were gimmicky and I had little interest.

Repeated positive reports on this forum prompted me to reluctantly try one for myself.....I loved it after the first set of tests. Every test you perform in the graduated cylinders is quite a bit easier and the stirrer gives you a quicker, more precise endpoint.

It is probably worth its price alone in how nicely it assists the endpoint of the CH test. I would buy another tomorrow if mine broke today.

I have one and it is a great tool... In any test you perform that requires stirring/swirling it alllows you to perform the test more accurately and quickly. Especially the CH test if you were to have hard water! While not necessary it is a tool that will make your life much easies in the persuit of correct pool water chemistry blance. :goodjob: absolutley the best purchase I have made for my pool behind the TF100! It is one purchase you will not have buyers remorse for!

Thank you for the replies! So do you just put your test container on the magnetic stirrer and turn it on? Do you need to add a magnetic bar? Do you add the drops while it is "stirring".

Thanks!!

creechy said:
Thank you for the replies! So do you just put your test container on the magnetic stirrer and turn it on? Do you need to add a magnetic bar? Do you add the drops while it is "stirring".

Thanks!!
Yes, put your water in the cylinder to the proper level, then drop in magnetic bar and place on the stirrer cradle and turn on. You can add drops while it is stirring... it is pretty slick and very easy... :cheers:

It's very useful when you have a long test which requires stirring for every drop and you have 10+ drops....just put the vial on the stirring motor, drop in the magnet, and set it to on and it keeps on stirring while you focus on counting your drops and watching color.

I bought one 2 years ago-best money I ever spent for Taylor titrations. I use it with TA and CH Taylor tests since they are drop by drop. The US Navy used them for mixing their samples when sampling their various systems. Very reliable and mix the sample with little air intrusion. It's a simple glass beaker within a magnet the size of a Tylenol capsule that gores in the beaker with the water. It couples with the stirrer base and goers round and round with variable speed control

Everything that you need comes with it. You get the batteries, metal bar, and the little machine that you set the cylinder on. I have used the cylinders that came with my tf100 kit with no problems. I have used other ones as well. I believe it comes with its own cylinder, but correct me if I am wrong. But so far anyone that fits on there will work just fine. I put my water sample in the cylinder and drop the bar in. Sit it on the machine and turn it on and add drops as needed based on the test I am doing. It makes testing that much easier and you dont have to worry if it got mixed well as it does it for you. So I have not had to retest anyting due to loss of water or thinking maybe that result was wrong. It is useful as others have said for CH, but could also be very useful if you have to shock. I use it for every test I can though and love it. I can do a full set of testing in about 5-10 minutes depending on how slow I am moving and if I can get the right sample size the first time w/o going over or under.

It is the best purchase you will make right behind the testing kit. I would say right with the testing kit, but without the testing kit you would really not need the stirrer.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
A definite must-buy. Makes everything much easier, especially testing at night since the base lights up so you can see the color of the water being tested. Also, you should consider the Taylor 6190 Samplesizer. Makes getting the right amount of water into the tube a no-brainer. :)

Check out Hot Tub Warehouse for your supplies - great prices: http://www.hottubwarehouse.com/Taylor_T ... s/1974.htm (no affiliation - just a satisfied customer).

HofstraJet said:
A definite must-buy. Makes everything much easier, especially testing at night since the base lights up so you can see the color of the water being tested. Also, you should consider the Taylor 6190 Samplesizer. Makes getting the right amount of water into the tube a no-brainer. :)

Check out Hot Tub Warehouse for your supplies - great prices: http://www.hottubwarehouse.com/Taylor_T ... s/1974.htm (no affiliation - just a satisfied customer).

You can also get it from David aka duraleigh as well from their site. Provides outstanding customer service and super fast shipping

http://tftestkits.net/Sample-Sizer-Meas ... l-p65.html

It may be a little more, but he is always on this site and just a phone call or email away and will always help you out no matter what.

Thank you so much for all the feedback. I ordered one from David and it arrived today! I can't wait to try it. I noticed many posted that they use it for CH and TA testing. Should I use it for chlorine and ph testing?

Thanks!!

creechy said:
Thank you so much for all the feedback. I ordered one from David and it arrived today! I can't wait to try it. I noticed many posted that they use it for CH and TA testing. Should I use it for chlorine and ph testing?

Thanks!!
I use mine for everything but pH. I bought more stirbars off eBay (Taylor charges a fortune!) and I had an extra tube from an older test kit, so I'm set. I can run all the tests before I have to dump things out and do the dishes.

Thanks again. I love the magnetic stirrer! I also like the idea of getting some extra testing tubes so I do not have to stop and rinse after each test. One trip to the sink would be great!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.