new Salt water pool

Dec 5, 2011
I had a new gunite pool installed the past July. It has a SWG system. I am going to purchase the TFT-100 test kit. Does the kit contain everything I need to monitor/test my pool water and/or is it beneficial to purchase any of the optional items?

The TF100 is a good all around kit, it tests everything most of us are going to care about, except salt, borates and metals. You only need to add those tests, if you're dealing with those things, for example in your case, you have salt system, buying a the salt strips is probably worthwhile so you can double check salt reading against your system if a problem comes up. The other tests would be useful if you added borates or have issues with metal, otherwise you don't need them.

There some optional tools that are handy, such as the speedstir and the sample sizer. Neither are necessary, but can make testing a bit easier.

The speedstir is a magnetic stirrer. Most of the tests have you swirling the sample while you count drops. This device will do swirling for you, allowing you to focus on counting drops and watching for changes.

Sample sizer uses the Taylor tubes, (one comes with the speedstir) It allows you to quickly measure out, 10ml and 25ml samples (most of the tests use one of these 2 sample sizes)

Again, neither are necessary. But I find having both is handy.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.