Any thoughts on hardwood leaf stained water.

Dec 5, 2010
6000 gallon dog therapy pool (plaster). My plastic cover blew away and the pool got fouled with quite a bit of leaves before I returned. October) I've fished them out; running the 60 gpm pump (cartridge) 2 days. Can't seem to get the discoloration out of the water. Tannic acid, I suppose. Can't use anything that dogs can't drink. Any thoughts? Dumped in 6 gal bleach. Immed before that, ph was at 7.0.

got broken dogs waiting for the pool.

PS 4 feet of water is color of weak iced tea.

Thanks,
Bill

Chlorine will remove the stain. It may take longer than you want (days) and it may involve more chlorine than you want for your dogs (what's your cya level?) but chlorine is the answer.

My only other thought is a non chlorine rapid oxidizer like mps available at pool store but I do not knopw for sure that will remove the stain.

Thanks Dave. There's only a little CYA left in there. I'm trying to lose it because it can under some circumstances cause kidney stones for dogs. thanks for reassuring me, I'll just keep the pure chlorine high and keep cleaning the (10 micron) cartridge. Sorry for the incomplete chemistry report, but the chlorine is so high right now that the normal tests aren't working right. (I don;t let anyone in till the chlorine drifts back down to 3 or 4.) Its easier for my application to work without CYA; Its easier to add bleach than to get dogs to not drink.

Thanks Bobo. My instincts are like yours, but I'm way beyond normal shock. Still can't get any coherent readings. Can't believe its algae, even though the residual from the leaves is indeed green in tint. The 60 gpm pump has filtered the entire 6000 about 30 times in the past 2-3 days. Just tried the short chlorine test and the test vial turned deep orange/red. I'll do the long test after lunch, but strongly suspect it is way, way high.

Confirming: FAS drip test: >40 ; CYA < 20

Further research: the vacuum head in the bottom of the pool is showing white. Its the white plaster that is dirty, rather than the water. Overall, it gives the clear impression that the water is green. But it is dirty plaster that is causing the impression. I drained a few inches to be able to see the plaster clearly around the top edge. I am proceeding with the shock level bleach (actually quite a bit above shock level), along with some brushing and filtering, until someone might have addtional suggestions. I suppose I could dump the water and treat the plaster with full strength bleach. I suppose the operative decision is whether to wait for the pool water to eventually clean the plaster or empty it, clean it, refill.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.