CSI less than -.3 for the first time

jjslinger

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 22, 2011
Santa Rosa, CA
Hi,

This is my first post since introducing myself. Again, thanks for the great resource.

FC 5.5
CC 0
CYA 55
pH 7.5 or 7.6
TA 110
CH 220
Temp 50F

For the first time since I've been maintaining this pool (just about 3 months, it's a new build), the CSI has dropped to -.33, and the pool calculator gives me a note saying that this could be bad for the plaster.

If I add calcium to get the CH up to 350, that improves things, but the CSI would still not be 0; to get to 0, the pool calculator says I would need to increase the pH a bit as well. I haven't yet intentionally increased the pH because initially the pool was doing that by itself, and I continually needed to add MA to reduce the pH. But I haven't had to add MA for over a month, the pH seems to be very stable now, parked at 7.5 or 7.6.

So, should I just add calcium and call it quits, or should I mess with the pH as well?

(BTW, my fill water has a CH of 140, and a pH of 8.2 if that's of interest, but there is essentially no activity in the pool right now, so there's no splash out to speak of, and I have an automatic cover, so there's pretty much no rain being added either).

Thanks,
Don

If you really want some calcium, come and get some of my water :)

But I agree, don't add anything. CH is going to go up over time.

I'd keep an eye on the TA. It looks like it's getting high, although I read the ABCs page and there can be reasons to have it that high. Try playing in the pool calculator to see what happens with your balance if TA is lowered.

Posting only to ditto Richard's and Red's good advice......your pool is fine. All of your pertinent parameters are within the guidelines suggested on the forum.

You don't say, but I suspect your water is pretty darn clear, too. :lol:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.