Soon to be pool owner (Custom Swamp Pool)

Dec 13, 2011
Clermont, FL
Hey all,

Im in the process of buying a house with a custom pool in the central florida area and want to get a plan of attack set up for when i can actually start working on it.

The Pool is a custom 5' deep plaster pool (im pretty sure). It features a swim up bar, hot tub, and water fall. The pool is currently green and the pool has not been run for at least a year.

My 1st thoughts are I would really like to drain the pool and pressure wash/clean eveything before filling it back up. I know eveyone has mixed feelings about this but i also struggle with swiming in the same water that frogs and dead things swam in. lol. I am in the development feild and in these areas the water table is well below 20' typically so i dont think there would be any issues draining it but i would likt to know who could professionally tell me that. (its a small fear in my mind that i would like to remove).

I am attaching a few pictures to show you guys so that one day yall can see before and after pictures.

What is this ?
IMG_20111212_162054.jpg

Also What is the bucket with the clear lid in the ground in front of the heater? Below?
IMG_0209.jpg

IMG_0272.jpg

IMG_0271.jpg

IMG_0269.jpg

IMG_0268.jpg

IMG_0210.jpg

Welcome to TFP! The pool looks really nice, minus the slime, but we can help you get that cleaned up in no time flat!

The first picture is a junction box for your pool and spa lights. Power comes in the flexible conduit on the right, and two gray PVC conduits will go to the lights.

The second picture is a rotating valve for an in-floor cleaning system. You can't see them through the slime, but the floor of your pool will have pop-up cleaning jets that are supposed to kick up debris so the filter can get it.

Draining it is almost certainly unnecessary. The water will clean up just fine, and it's not worth the risk of having the pool float. 20' deep water table sounds reaaaally deep for Florida, and I wouldn't take the risk unless you have some way of knowing for sure. Chlorine, and lots of it, will clean up that water.

Yes it's A&A. I have the same one :goodjob:

If the water table is lower than the pool shell, draining will not be an issue. If the pool shell extends below the water table, it's essentially a boat and can float up with catastrophic results. Since most places in the deep south have pretty high water tables, I would be cautious.

That being said, I still see no reason whatsoever to drain this pool.

Just talked to the pool builder that put in the pool and he said that there would be no problem whatsoever draining that pool.

Having that now being known. Could I do a much better and thorough job cleaning the pool if i went ahead and drained it??

Water would only cost like 200 MAX.

Are there any guides to cleaning the pool if you are able to drain it? The pool Company wants to acid wash it but i doubt it needs that from what you guys say.

If everything goes well I should own the pool in 1-3 mo. I HOPE!!

Yep, the A&A in-floor system. I know of no pop up jets with clear plastic—but you probably want opaque in a color that complements the surface color anyway. If it were clear, you'd be able to see the sprockets, spring, and other innards.

I was referring to the multiport valve having a clear top. I was not aware what it was until doing some research. Now i know that the pool is equipped with a in floor cleaning system. Pretty cool but I sure could not see the pop up heads. lol.

Im so antsy to get the house just so I can start working on the pool. LOL I also am curious what condition that DE filter, pump, and other items are in. I assume i would not really want to run the pump until i have it drained and filled right? But wouldnt i want to try to get the pipes flushed somehow before I get the green crud in the fresh clean tap water?

I wish someone would put out a good step by step sticky. Lol.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi, welcome to TFP! Before you start draining the pool, check and see if there are any local ordinances governing where the pool water may be discharged. Lots of municipalities don't want people draining their pools into the storm drainage system, and some neighborhoods don't allow you to drain your pool into your yard if there is a chance the runoff will encroach on a neighbor's property. Also check if you are under any water restrictions due to drought. Many areas that have been hit hard by this year's drought are not allowing water to be used to refill pools.

Since you have a screened in pool, you probably do not have a lot of leaves or other organic debris on the bottom. Liquid chlorine would clear up the algae pretty quick. Acid washing to clean up algae is kind of like using a flame thrower to light your bbq! Could it be done? Yes. Is it a good idea? No. Acid washing will shorten the life of your plaster and should be saved for extreme situations such as heavy scale deposits. Clear up the water first, then see what condition the plaster is in.

Now if he wants to power wash the pool that is a different matter but still probably not needed.

We do have instructions on clearing your pool in Pool School at the top right of every page. Here are a couple of articles to get you started. Defeating algae and how to shock your pool.

Welcome to TFP!

I really don't understand why you're so set on draining the water? Read this story. He started from water so dirty it was black and got it to sparkling clean without a dump and refill. Dumping is a huge waste of water. Also read this thread http://www.troublefreepool.com/turning-your-green-swamp-back-into-a-sparkling-oasis-t4147.html for a step by step on how to clean up your pool

The process of cleaning up the pool will kill anything growing in it and the filter will remove all that stuff - you'll end up with clean and perfectly safe water. It will take some work but I believe it would be less then draining a pool will be as you'll still end up having to go through the shock process to kill what's in the lines that you can't powerscrub out.

Start off by getting a good test kit. The TF-100 with the XL option will be your best bang for the buck since you are going to be cleaning up a pool: http://tftestkits.net/The-TF-100-Test-Kit-p4.html

While you wait to close on the house go read pool school. Then read it again. Then decide if you still want to drain the pool.

Good luck!

Agreed, water is water. Chlorine and filtration will remove any undesirable elements in the water, and the chlorine will sanitize it completely. The only real trick is knowing that chlorine gets used up in the cleaning process, and must be replenished in sufficient quantity to maintain a fighting level.

Thanks Carlscan I guess I just have always had this misconception that its always the same old nasty water... Never thought of the fact that if you clean and sanitize the water then its going to be "New water". If i Get the house/Pool I will strongly consider not draining it. I called the guy that made the pool and he wants 150 to teach me a pool school on the pool. I think I will now pass and learn as I go. What I cant figure out i will ask you guys. He did elude to wanting to get more money out of me too. Told me i would most likely need a new pump, Heater, etc, etc. I was like ummmm I think we need to figure out how the ones are that are in place before we go replacing stuff. lol. For now I will study up and keep a eye on the house that the equipment does not get stolen. Ive now got a new route to go home just to work surveillance on our dream house daily. lol

I really am in love with the pool already I like that it has some custom features (swim up bar with stools, waterfalls, benches )and is not just another hole in the ground.

Thanks Guys

That'll be great too once you can see and use those features!

I was where you are now myself just a year ago. You definitely have the right approach - learn as you go with what you have. We're here to help!

For the house - until you can close on it - can you do anything to make it look occupied or at least regularly visited?

I wouldn't spend a penny on having someone teach you how to maintain your pool. You can learn everything you need right here! If you want to donate to the site, you can become a TFP supporter by clicking on the link at the top of each page. I have learned so much from the fine people on this site and from reading Pool School over and over to be sure I understood what it said and from searching for old threads (I mean, really, how much can be new about maintaining a pool?). The best part is that you can post pictures, like you did, and find out what things are. We can help you determine what is working and what isn't and when to call in a pro. As others have mentioned, if you do start maintaining your own pool, step 1 is ordering a good test kit, like the TF-100, and step 2 is reading the basics in Pool School. The satisfaction you will get from having turned that swamp into a beautiful sparkling pool is immeasurable. Hope all goes well and that we can help you out.

carlscan and hofstra,

Those are two great posts of encouragement. It is important for newbies to understand that ALL of us started from the same spot of virtually no knowledge and, by sticking to it and asking questions, we have all learned how to manage and understand our pools.

I had a discussion with a co-worker yesterday and he and I were smiling that neither of us had ANY CLUE why you put chlorine in a pool, let alone understand pH, TA, CYA, CH, until we found the knowledge contained in this forum and the old PF forum. We just knew that it turned green if you didn't but we didn't understand why. :shock: :shock:

Not all of us Dave, I was born knowing everything. I just can't seem to remember it all at the same time. :hammer:

Seriously, I don't think I'd be a pool owner it if it weren't for this site. I've learn so much from the people here. They've helped demystify pool ownership and demonstrate, that it doesn't have to be a ton of work or a ton of money. As I learned what things did and why, I was able to be more economical and more efficient. I've had acquaintances tell me how they spent hundreds of dollars a month and spent hours and hours toiling away at their pools. Trying to discourage me from buying a pool. With help from people here, I've never had to experience either of those.

Okay, full disclose here, since you'll probably going to go through something similar. When I first moved in, I had to deal with an algae bloom and some water balance issues. But, I knew what I was getting in to and what it was going to take. Chlorine consumption when trying to clear a bloom is very high and you buy alot of bleach. I wouldn't say that was cheap, but compared to what others have told me they've spent on pool chemicals it was a lot cheaper. When the bloom was over, I had to a bunch some balance issues to fix (had to adjust TA, CH and CYA) and some tweaks I wanted to make (I added salt and borates), which can add up too. Lastly, I had to have a pro come out and fix something.

After all that though, it was smooth sailing, during the summer all I did was add chlorine (I go through about 2 big jugs of bleach a week) and I think I tweaked the pH (acid) once (still have the acid). Then basic maintenance, clean the baskets, backwash as needed (probably could have gone the whole summer without backwashing, just got so much rain, I just used the free water to backwash). I also got ThePoolCleaner and PoolSkim, they aren't what I'd call cheap, but they save me a lot of time/trouble. I probably spend about 15mins a day in the summer maintaining the pool and a little more on the weekend. I was able to tune my run time down and got the electrical costs way down. All totaled, I probably spend less a month on the pool than I do on cable.

Like you said you have a swamp but also a number of nice features. Hang in there. At first I was like "everyone on the board said this was going to be cheap and easy?" Shocking uses a lot of chlorine, testing reagents and time. But its only temporary, it not going to be like that everyday. Also, when its a swamp, it can hide some things from you. You might discover some unexpected things when the water clears up (like my filter problem). Hang in there, in no time you'll be relaxing your pool. Or nodding politely while people tell you how expensive or how much work owning a pool can be.

I didn't know TA from FC back in July. This site has taught me so much I cannot even begin to convey to you.

Your problem is not really a problem (or not as big of a problem as you think it is). In fact, I'm a little jealous. It's a blast to learn this stuff and you will see so many changes when you dive into it.

Don't drain, just clean/shock it and listen to the experts around here (not me!).

Update: Not a whole lot of new information about the sale. They got some more paperwork from us and are still negotiating with the banks. I hate the short sale process but if i get the house it will be worth it. I drive by the home almost every day keeping a eye on it and there has been some odd activity there prolly just the local trouble maker kids. The broke a outdoor shower that was in the yard... but it was pretty much useless anyway.

Question: On the blower Discharge side it feeds to a 3 way valve... any idea why??? Almost like it sends the blower air to two different locations in the pool. Or is is just venting somewhere so that you can vary the amount or bubbles. My buddy that just installed a pool is thinking of adding a waste valve by the blower to vent some of the air because its to strong is that maybe what this it?

Thanks Guys!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.