Borates measure the same after almost a year?

txborn

LifeTime Supporter
May 21, 2007
Carrollton, TX
Ever since I put borax in the pool last spring to 50ppm using the test strips as a guide, it has stayed at that level and after testing yesterday, it is still 50ppm even with all the rain we have had and all the backwashing and refilling I have done in a year's time. It is hard for me to believe this as I have had to add salt and CYA over time as pool water is lost down the overflow drain and from backwashing. Plus I still have a thriving colony of waterboatmen in the water.

I have to assume the Aquacheck strips are not reading correctly. Even testing tap water it shows 50ppm. Expiration on bottle says March of 2009 and bottle has been indoors and cap on tight. Is there another brand out there that may be more accurate?

I have experienced the same problem with the Aquachek strips. I am guessing that humidity is the culprit. I have has MUCH better results with the LaMotte borate strips and they are much easier to read also. The color changes are much more distinct!!!! I have gone through several bottles of the Aquachek strips and EVERY one did what you describe after several months so once they are opened they do not have a long shelf life. I have not had the same problem with the LaMotte strips.

I haven't used my Aquacheck Borate strips yet this year, but they seemed to offer believable results. During a summer with near record rainfall I did notice a substantial drop in my borate level leading me to add more to bring my levels up to 50. But I'll certainly keep this in mind if the numbers appear suspicious.

dan

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.