New pool - Gramma Overwhelmed!

bjthon

Oct 29, 2011
Mebane, NC
Where to begin :oops: 20 x 40 vinyl. 8.5' deep. Live in NC. Pool store owner suggested I leave pool uncovered this winter. Electric running makes this very expensive not to mention cleaning because of leaves. Also pool store owner recommended using EZ-Pool which I now know will cost an arm/leg during season.

I want to enjoy watching my grandson use this pool without me having a heart attach because of the work and expense! So, need opinion as to:
1. covering it for NEXT winter - what to use? Is a $200 cover going to do the job?
2. Interested in BBB - what kind of test kit should I order? What is the minimum I need to test for?
3. Any thoughts regarding EZ-Pool?
4. What kind of vacuum? I tried to vacuum it using the cheap vacuum that came with the pool. The aluminum extension pole broke twice. Suction is strong. Would vacuum with wheels help? Can it be used on vinyl?

I have so many questions but don't want to wear out my welcome! Thank you for any advice you can give me.

Welcome to TFP!

We can make it easy.

1. There are a lot of cover options. A safety cover gives peace of mind and looks "clean" when it is used. You'll pay for it though. I'd imagine $2500 installed, although the installation isn't rocket science, and if you can do it yourself you'll save about half. The cheaper covers will keep the leaves out of the pool, but they'll end up on the cover and you'll still have to remove them. If there is any chance of a child or pet getting into the pool area while it is closed, then I recommend a safety cover.

2. Get the TF-100 from TFTestkits.net You want the ability to test all of the things it tests. It will pay for itself the first season. Plus Dave (the flunky) and Meg (the boss) are in NC as well.

3. EZ Pool is nothing more than an algaecide masquerading as a sanitizer. I would not allow my grand kids to swim in a pool where it was used. It keeps the water looking clean, but is marginal at best in protecting against serious pathogens that can get in the water. Go with chlorine. Properly used, chlorine is cheap and the water will be indistinguishable from tap water. Most of us here use Walmart bleach or liquid pool shock.

4. Most vacuums are the same, but don't use the ones with wheels. You may need to adjust your valves or use a special plate to reduce the water being drawn from the skimmer while you are vacuuming.

If you could posts some pictures of your plumbing at the pump we might be able to help you with the setup you need to vacuum.

Hi bjthon and welcome to TFP! :)

Looks like JohnT has it covered pretty well.
I have an above ground pool so I just have a $40 cover with some pillows and works well for me.

I did buy the TF-100 test kit from Dave and Meg, here at :
http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html
Best kit out there for the $$, IMO.
I wouldn't have a pool WITHOUT one! The testing was a little bit of learning for me, but with the help here, your in good hands.... we all can help once we have a full set of test #'s.
My pool straightened right up and has been perfect since last May.
I use liquid chlorine (10%) just because the pool store is on my street only 10 blocks away!
I get 2) 2 1/2 gallon carboy jugs for about $10.

I personally haven't used EZ pool system, but have read a lot of not so good stories here about it.
I use BBB and have not spent much for taking care of my pool, I've even seen a couple of months at about $10 except electric to run the pump about 6-10 hours a day.
The great part is, my pool is perfect all the time and screams at us to come swimming every second! :party:
The upkeep is very simple and I really enjoy it.

Like John stated, maybe just a simple restrictor in the vacuum line could be all you need or just a partial valve adjustment.

Follow instructions here as you can:
what-we-need-to-know-to-answer-your-questions-t10341.html

When you have some reading time read through pool school, link at top of every page or click here: pool-school/

Just let us know how we can help, Trouble Free Pool .com has made my pool fun and easy to care for.! :whoot:

Chuck

Attachments

• Pool on 6-22-11 003 resize.jpg
    Pool on 6-22-11 003 resize.jpg
    229.4 KB · Views: 119
John and Chuck ~

Thanks for quick response to my questions! So great to find this forum!

Fence is going up around the pool today. We live on a farm so not too concerned about the dogs, cats, horses, chickens or grandson getting on a pool cover. But there are deer and they can jump a fence. Hopefully that won’t happen!

I will order the TF-100. Shall I order the Speedstir, too? Dave and Meg are 35 miles east of me. I’m in Mebane.

Vacuuming – I have two skimmers. Was told to turn one off at the pump when vacuuming. Wondering if there would be less suction if I leave both open or leave one open for the vacuum and the other not fully closed. I’ll try to post some pictures today.

I spent $200 on a small bucket of EZ Pool! Have only used a few scoops. Would I have to do anything special to start to use chlorine in the spring? Also was sold calcium chloride by owner. I read an article on line that said using calcium chloride on a vinyl liner pool is a waste of $$$. What’s your opinion?

I will have many more questions, I’m sure! Do I post on a new thread or try to find answers on old threads? Interested in more info about BBB.

I really appreciate the information you have given me. I feel more relaxed now that I know where I can get some help. I’m looking forward to some warm weather! Thank You!!!

Billie

bjthon said:
John and Chuck ~

Thanks for quick response to my questions! So great to find this forum!

Fence is going up around the pool today. We live on a farm so not too concerned about the dogs, cats, horses, chickens or grandson getting on a pool cover. But there are deer and they can jump a fence. Hopefully that won’t happen!

I will order the TF-100. Shall I order the Speedstir, too? Dave and Meg are 35 miles east of me. I’m in Mebane.

Vacuuming – I have two skimmers. Was told to turn one off at the pump when vacuuming. Wondering if there would be less suction if I leave both open or leave one open for the vacuum and the other not fully closed. I’ll try to post some pictures today.

I spent $200 on a small bucket of EZ Pool! Have only used a few scoops. Would I have to do anything special to start to use chlorine in the spring? Also was sold calcium chloride by owner. I read an article on line that said using calcium chloride on a vinyl liner pool is a waste of $$$. What’s your opinion?

I will have many more questions, I’m sure! Do I post on a new thread or try to find answers on old threads? Interested in more info about BBB.

I really appreciate the information you have given me. I feel more relaxed now that I know where I can get some help. I’m looking forward to some warm weather! Thank You!!!

Billie

You'll want to adjust how far you close the other skimmer to get just the right amount of suction. You may need to tweak it a little after you vacuum a while to make up for the dirty filter.

Unless you have a warranty issue with a heater or other equipment, you don't need to worry about calcium levels unless they are excessively high.

Check out Pool School first, which will answer a lot of your questions, then try using search if that doesn't answer them or if it leads to more. You are always welcome to post questions in the forum, but remember this is a slow time of the year since most people have their pools closed now.

I have a Speed-Stir, and I like it. It makes it easy to get accurate endpoints for the titration tests, but it is by no means a necessity.

I live on a farm as well. A few weeks after we installed our safety cover, which was the fall before we got our fence, we had some 500-600lb calves get out. I found a footprint on the cover about a foot from the edge :shock: The thought of fishing a cow out of the pool makes the safety cover seem cheap.

Beyond the physical differences, if the money isn't an issue, a safety cover looks a lot better when the pool is closed. It will be pretty well flat across the top with no accumulating debris and no waterbags around the edge. Everyone has their own threshold for what that is worth, but if price was equal, everyone with a removable winter cover would have a safety cover.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.