Can't remove pool pump lid

Mar 21, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Hi Guys. I was wondering if you can give me any advice on how to remove my pool pump lid. I never had a problem before until I replaced the filters in my DE pump. At the same time I put silicone lubricant on the O ring for the filter itself, I did the same thing (apparently stupidly) for the gasket on the pump basket/lid, and now I can't get it off.

This is the basket:

pool_pump_lid.jpg

And the lid looks similar (although not exactly the same) to this:

pool_lid.jpg

Any help would be appreciated!

they do sell a tool to remove lids. I don't know the model number off the top of my head but it might be at a local pool store. Sometimes kicking the lid with a glancing blow in the direction it's supposed to turn will loosen it up. Personally I think you are better off with the tool, then cleaning the lid and o-ring and then lubricating.

X-PertPool said:
they do sell a tool to remove lids. I don't know the model number off the top of my head but it might be at a local pool store. Sometimes kicking the lid with a glancing blow in the direction it's supposed to turn will loosen it up. Personally I think you are better off with the tool, then cleaning the lid and o-ring and then lubricating.

Oh cool, I will check with my local pool store. Thanks!

I thought about using a hammer to kind of get it loose (like kicking it) but I don't want to break it! :lol:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Melt In The Sun said:
proginov said:
I took a 1x4 and cut a groove in it. Keep it behind the filter so it is always handy.
That's a really slick idea! Thanks for posting it.

That is a great idea! I'm going to have to try that! I have the same kind of pump lid. The first time I took it off, I thought I was going to break it and it would never come off. I think I used some kind of long handled adjustable wrench, like channel locks, pipe wrench or something like that to get it off. I remember use a rag on the lid handle to try and keep the jaws from damaging it.

I wouldn't sweat the silicone pool lube, you should use it to help keep o-ring lubed and help seal the lid against possible leaks. Btw you don't have wrench it back on with tons of force, you just need it tight enough to seat so air and water don't leak in/out. Make sure the o-ring is in good shape, lube it and ensure the channels the o-ring sits in are clean. In my case the o-ring was worn and the last person to touch it didn't lubed it (or so it seemed). So he just wrenched on with a loads of force so it wouldn't leak.

For the o-rings, just regular pool lube.. Its sold a pool supply stores and online.

Currently I use some stuff from leslies, because they right around the corner from work. But any lube designed for pools will work fine. Just don't petroleum jelly, it can degrade the o-ring
http://www.lesliespool.com/Home/Pumps-and-Motors/Parts-and-Accessories/68926.html

Maybe some others here will name the brands they like. Honestly I never thought about it much, the lube isn't that expensive and lasts a while.

I have found that while it's fine to lube the O ring, if I let the silicone grease get on the treads it collects dust and grit and makes opening and closing the cap difficult. Keep the treads clean and dry.

I know this is an old thread, but I just figured out a great way to get that type of cover off if it's stuck. I went to the garage and grabbed my husband's pitchfork. (The kind with the thicker tines that you use for gardening.) The spacing between the tines of the fork was perfect and I was able to turn the entire pitchfork and get my cover off easily. :-D

pitchfork-pool-filter-pump_zpscde79e83.jpg

I hope this helps someone in the future. Please excuse the state our pump is in. We inherited it when we bought this house. :?
Christine

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.