How do I close just the water features pump?

Dabby

Aug 16, 2010
Saginaw, TX
I live in north central Texas. It doesn't get real cold here, but we do have our moments - remember last year's Super Bowl? Last year was our first winter with the pool. I did not close it and the freeze guard protected everything. All went well except one thing. The overspray from the waterfall and the bubblers froze onto the pre-cast concrete coping and stayed there for several days. Later in the year when things began to warm back up, the coping began to crumble. I believe this was caused be the frozen salt water.

I would like to leave the pool open like I did last year, but close the water features pump. However, I cannot find any instructions anywhere on how to do this. The intake valve is right at ground level, so I think I would be ok closing that off and not worrying about water in the intake pipe. But how do I get the water out of the return pipes? The waterfall has eight small outlets instead of one big one and the bubblers are underwater. Is there a way to blow the water out from the pump side? If so, how do I cap off the bubblers? Will capping them while air is being forced through the pipes cause too much of a pressure buildup?

If there is no way of doing this, I suppose I could shut down the return valves until there is just a trickle of water to minimize the overspray, but then I'm afraid of building up to much pressure in the lines. Is this possible?

I attached a picture of the pump in case that would help at all. If this was answered somewhere else, I apologize for the duplicate post. I just could not find the answers anywhere. Thanks for your help.

[attachment=0:gepzlrux]Water Feature Pump.JPG[/attachment:gepzlrux]

Attachments

• Water Feature Pump.JPG
    Water Feature Pump.JPG
    469 KB · Views: 91
This is a new question as far as I know. :cool:

THANK YOU!! for the pic :goodjob:

Since you want to winterize the parts of the system that are on a separate pump, it shouldn't be too hard to do.

What I'm unsure of is where the bubblers are located. It would be optimal to blow out the lines and seal them at the pool end. Also, where is the suction source for that pump?

Hopefully, we have time to discuss this and work out the 'how-to's before any damage can occur. :)

There are two bubblers on the tanning ledge. They are just a few inches below the surface.

I am not sure where the intake is. I looked at my construction pictures and all I have is after the pipes were covered back up. As far as I know, the only intakes are the two skimmers and main drains. I'm thinking the intake must be connected somehow to the main lines. Does this sound plausible or should there be another, separate, intake?

I can send a picture of the whole pump setup if that would help.

Any additional pictures or information about your system would help.

If you close the intake valve then blow out the lines it will only send the air to the returns, blowing them out. After that, depending on how the returns are set up, you may be able to just close the return valves, similar to the way you blow out a main drain. But it depends on how the returns are set up. Your goal is to get the water out and keep it out so that it won't freeze and damage your system. Pictures would be really helpful.

Also, just closing the intake at ground level, would concern me. You may want to blow it out too. Close the returns, then blow out the intake. You'll see the air coming out of wherever they are connected to your system. Depending on where that is, you might be able to just close the valve and be done, again like the way you do the main drain. It just depends on the specifics of your system.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.