Pool Pump has low flow/suction and basket has Air Pocket

SWFLNICK said:
I still think I may upgrade to a larger filter setup though in the next month. Do you all think my size filter is causing my 1 1/2 hp pump to work harder than it needs to, and it to not be as efficient? Perhaps I am wrong, and I can just keep what I have.
There may be a small difference but some manufactures publish the pressure loss curves of the filter and most product lines seem to have a filter pressure loss that is independent of filter size so a larger filter would only allow you to go longer between cleanings and wouldn't really lower head loss. But some filters lines are better than others when it comes to head loss. Also, it is definitely worth it to go with a larger filter just so you don't have to clean it so often.

SWFLNICK said:
There is no way it can be clogged up and dirty from only a few hours of use. Right?
If you are fighting an algae bloom, it certainly can clog up that quickly and probably the reason it needed a good soak.

Thanks guys.

I cleaned it again and PSI went down to 8. After an hour or so, it was back up near 20, so I cleaned it again and same result. Looks like while I fight to get this pool cleared up I will have to keep cleaning it, and hopefully after it is cleared up things work as they should.

Is it also possible that the filter is too fine? like it is too small of a micron? I know when I look up a replacement it lists 3 filters to choose from...a standard 3oz, heavy duty 4oz, and a Microban Anti-Microbial

Not sure what the difference between those is, but maybe I need to look into a different type of filter.

but maybe I need to look into a different type of filter.
All of the three filter types have some advantages and disadvantages. For cleaning up a pool that is gunky (and yours is), a sand filter will do the best. Once the pool is clean, then a sand filter loses that advantage and carts and DE filter a little finer.

So, because my pool gets a lot of debris and some algae because I don't close in the winter, my big sand filter is great. If your pool is kept pretty well (once you get it cleaned up) a larger cart or a larger DE might be your best bet.

Now that you have learned you have a water quality problem, you need to post some test results and we'll help you get your water crystal clear and balanced.

I followed this thread because I am having similar issues with my pool. I have a 40x20 inground pool with a Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter. My pool has 4 return jets, 1 in each corner of the pool. I have two skimmers, 1 on either side of the pool, and I have 2 main drains at the bottom. For the past week, I go out to the pool and the returns are barely pushing water and if I pull the skimmer baskets out and put my hand over the suction, it barely sucks. the pressure on the filter is about 15PSI. If I shut my filter off, bump the handle 3 times and turn it back on, the return pressure and the skimmer suction is perfect as it should be. the pressure on the filter is about 10PSI. About and hour later, the pressure on the filter is again at 15PSI and the return pressure is very little and there is very little suction. I have backwashed the filter, removed the filter and soaked it with a cleaner for 2 hours, hosed off the fingers and put it all back together and the results are the same every hour or so. What is causing this for my system?

I have the same issue as well. In my case it will takes around 3-4 days before pressures drive back up to 20psi.
I cleaned my filter 3 times in the last few weeks. At first, I though I was not doing a good job, but the last time I finger rubbed all the pleats to get all the oil and gunk out.
I have not tried putting it in dishwasher liquid yet. would it make a big difference?
When i purchased the filter i was told i need to clean only once or twice a year.
The filters are only 3 years old and we run the pool only from April to October.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.