EasyTouch8 not talking to IntelliFlo VS+SVRS

Dec 7, 2011
Good evening. I have an EasyTouch8 that I am trying to get to control an IntelliFlo VS+SVRS pump. I have run out of ideas and am stuck. Here's the basics:

I have the IntelliFlo VS+SVRS wired to Aux1
Activating Aux1 does provide power to the pump
I am able to manually turn the pump on with the Intelliflo panel on the pump
I have the pump configured as a 2-speed pump on the EasyFlow
I have configured Intelliflo pump#1 on the EasyFlow
The IntelliFlo VS+SVRS is a second pump in the system. The filter pump is a Whisperflo.
I have the RS485 port on the EasyTouch wired (ports 2-3) and the cable is plugged into the IntelliFlo VS+SVRS

The problem is, I cannot turn the IntelliFlo VS+SVRS on. When I have the pump running (manually from the Intellipro pump panel), the status within the EasyTouch Intellipro setup does not show me the rpms etc.. I do not think the 2 devices are communicating.

Can anyone shed some insight on where I could be going wrong?

Bob

From the indoor panel:

Menu/ scroll to "settings" /select/Scroll to "intelliflo"/select/pump 1 /select /pump type/select/scroll to "Y"/select/scroll to pump type VS/select/ then hit the MENU button 5 times to return to the main screen.

To set speeds: When you get to the Pump1 and select it, the next display will offer a pump speeds selection. That will allow you to assign 4 speed values to that pump within the easy touch automation.

You need to take the pump off the aux 1 relay.

The pump should always have power regardless if its on, or off.

You do need to set it up as a VS pump. I think the new ET firmware may have a vs+svrs setting ( I don't use many ET on VS+ pumps).

For racket:
Thank you for this. I did see that I could set it up with or without a relay. If I turn on aux1, the pump is ready to receive a signal as it is powered on. Question is, how can I get the ET panel to tell it to turn on? If I had it on passthrough power, the ET panel would still need to be able to control it. I may take it off aux1 as you suggest, but I am still struggling with having the ET panel send a signal to turn it on.

In response to pool clown:
Thanks much for your response. This ET panel does have an option for vs-svrs. I had that selected under pump type, I set the rpms (instead of gpm) and pointed it towards the aux1 circuit. I was confused that I had 1/8 settings under speed settings, so that must mean 8 different settings that I can have for that pump.

When I turn on aux1 and the pump has power, I can manually turn the pump on from the pump controls. I would think that when I go into ET panel, Settings/Intelliflo/Pump#1/Status, that it would tell me how many RPMs it's running at. Is that correct? Or will it only tell me what it's doing if the ET panel sent the signal? This just looks like an indicator that they are not communicating.

I really appreciate the aid and expertise.

Yes, you can take the motor off the relay and wire direct. You will still want to use that relay/button to control the pump so it will deliver power to the heater, intellichlor,etc. when on. Only now the comm wire to the pump will give the signal to turn on and off.

Please note:Your filter should be on the "F"(outside) or "P"(inside) button, not aux 1. Or, in other words, that relay should be plugged into the socket labeled "Filter pump" on the PC board. That may be part of your comm problem.

Yes, my mistake. You can assign 8 speeds to that pump now.

And yes, give the pump commands from the ET to get the status on the display. The idea of interfacing the pump drive to the system is so that you do not have to touch the pump to control it. You can tell if you have comm to the pump if you turn it on from the ET, then go to the pump and make a change in speed, within 40 seconds the ET will send an update signal to the pump and it should change back to the original speed set by the ET.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for this info. This mirrors my understanding of the operation, with exception that I haven't wired it w/o the relay. For reference, this is not the filter pump. For the filter pump relay (and functions), there is a 1hp single speed Whisperflo. The Intelliflo is a secondary pump for spa and resistance pool functions.

I can try wiring the pump w/o the relay. Is it correct that I have the Intelliflo pump low voltage control wire connected to the yellow & green terminals on the rs485 port, is that the way to go for the comm? If that is, what basic keystrokes can I use on the FT panel or remote that will tell the Intelliflo pump to turn on and/or use one of the 8 configured pump speed settings?

I really appreciate your time and aid. This is a big help and I think I'm close to having another go at this.

There are 2 valves that are acuated when you switch between spa and pool functions. The pump speed would be supplemental to that as it gives him more options for the pool use. So, he would have a choice when in pool mode to speed up the Intelliflo pump or not even use it. Spa would most likely be coupled with turning the Intelliflo pump on, although having an option of which speed would be beneficial.

Interesting. So a 'feature' circuit is a way to band together multiple functions? Ie.. turn the spa on, turn the Intellipro pump on and ramp to x rpms?

The remote he bought is similar or this exact one: Pentair 520547 EasyTouch Wireless Remote. It isn't one of the ones you asked about.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That remote is different from the one i referred to. That one takes the place of the wired panel that is often used inside the home. One reason, it's less than half the price of your remote. Your remote is often used when there is no real practical way to get the comm wire through the wall(s) for a permanent panel. Also, if you have that remote, you may not have any others as that remote could double as a spa side remote.

...you don't have a installation/user manual do you?

http://www.pentairpool.com/pdfs/easytou ... trolUG.pdf
There, chew on that for a while...

I think i may be holding you up. You may do better if im not between you and the user guide.
If you have any other questions, i'll try to answer them for you.

bjmorman said:
Interesting. So a 'feature' circuit is a way to band together multiple functions? Ie.. turn the spa on, turn the Intellipro pump on and ramp to x rpms?

The remote he bought is similar or this exact one: Pentair 520547 EasyTouch Wireless Remote. It isn't one of the ones you asked about.

What a "feature" circuit is, is a circuit that allows you to control a software function of the pool, or spa without burning one of your hard circuits.

For example, You have a low filtration speed for the pool mode. You want to have a timed higher speed to give it more filtration. You would assign the higher speed to the feature circuit so that you dont use one of your hard buttons, or relays. This would allow you to add a schedule for the higher speed, and also give you a menu driven way of turning the higher speed on/off.

Posting a final reply and update. Firstly, I left the pump on the aux1 relay. There wasn't much harm in doing that, except that it requires the user to activate that relay before being able to use the pump. Secondly, the Function Circuits were 1/2 the ticket to making this work. Setting 4-5 of those with various rpm configs enabled using the pump. Lastly, the pump my friend has is an Intelliflo VSF+SVRS, not a VS+SVRS. The ET8 panel only had a choice of VS+SVRS for the Intelliflo pump type, yet I couldn't get it to turn on using that. I changed the type to be VS and then it worked using the Function Circuits. Must be a signalling difference over the comm port between the 2.

Thanks much for the help. I figure I'd update this ticket in case it will help someone down the road.

Take care!
Bob

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.