filter pressure on spa mode

f18fdg

Oct 5, 2007
I just installed a new filter and pump. Pentair Cart Filter 320sq and a whisperflo 1.5hp pump.
I used 2" piping thru out.

When I set the return to only the spa, the pressure in the filter jumps by 15-18psi, goes from 15psi to about 30-32psi.
The spa is small only has 4 jets

Is this normal or okay for the filter?

thanks

That sounds like one of the Clean and Clear series of filters. They are rated for a maximum pressure of 50 PSI. You are well under that so there shouldn't be any damage.

The pump is probably too large for the number of jets you have. The pump is trying to move more water than the jets want to let through so the pressure builds up until the flow rate goes down to something the jets can handle. Nothing will really go wrong, you are just wasting electricity running a larger pump than you really need.

That's way too much pump for that filter. Sure they are rated for the flow but in a real world it's just not true. Sounds like your builder went the cheap way and did not want to spend another $80 for the 420 filter. Four jets, 320 and 1.5 whisperflo is a bad combo. It will use more energy and your ongoing symptoms are going to be premature wear on the cartridges and possibly some bearing damage on the motor. Those are all typical wear issues on a system like this. The 15 daily operation psi is not too bad so you won't see a ton of early wear. It's all going to be relative to your spa usage. You could actually swap out the motor for a variable speed version and increase your jet flow by reducing pump speed.

yes i agree that the pump is a little too powerful. I actually found out that if I adjust the valves a little so that at least some water goes to the pool the pressure only increases to 20psi.
The force of the water coming from the spa jets is still very good.

I will probably add a blower to make it more bubbly. There is an extra 2" pipe coming out of the equipment pad that i think is for a blower. Do you have any recomendations on how i can figure out where that extra pipe leads? Maybe attach a leaf blower and see where the air goes?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.