New & Confused

Dec 5, 2011
Hi All,
Iamb closing on a new pool home Dec.7 never had a pool, know nothing about taking care of a pool so please be kind :wink: and I'm so glad I found you! I was considering converting the pool system to salt as I have always heard about how much healthier and safer and cleaner and bla ,bla, bla... but after some research on line I came across articles about corrosion of pool surface, ladders, decks surfaces and other problems with salt systems. Than I found Ecosmarte it sounded like what I was looking for until I read some of the post here. Is there any one here that has one and likes it? We also have 2 doggies that love the water and will no doubt be drinking out of the pool every chance they get not to mention many grandkids visiting. Is there nothing we can do about the chlorine ?

Thanks in advance,
Teresa :?

Your best avenue is to get a swcg and maintain your pool according to the recommendations on this site. Chlorine is not the evil Ecosmarte (et.al.) would like you to believe. The water you drink every day contains chlorine unless you're on a private well, and a lot of those use it.

Do some research on this site and get a swcg and never look back.

Welcome to TFP!

SWCG is a saltwater chlorine generator. The salinity in the pool is fairly low and doesn't cause problems for most people. The system uses the salt to generate chlorine, and after the chlorine is used it turns back into salt.

The Ecosmarte is not a sanitizer.

Poorly maintained pools tend to smell like chlorine and generally make swimmers uncomfortable. Following our guidelines here will get you startlingly clear water that is safe, for much less effort than you are probably used to. I spend probably less than 2 minutes a day taking care of my inground pool, and I'd challenge anybody to tell the difference (without a test kit) between a glass of my pool water and a glass of my well water.

O.k. so sounds like salt might not be a bad idea after all ? Guess my only concern is the corrosion of pool surface and deck. If I am paying attention and understand correctly as long as I am anal about testing and making sure everything is balanced correctly than I should not have a problem with corrosion? for me this would not be a problem as I am "A.T." to a fault. My next question would be is there a preferred brand of SWC I have looked at Circu Pool any one kn about them

TeresaB said:
O.k. so sounds like salt might not be a bad idea after all ? Guess my only concern is the corrosion of pool surface and deck. If I am paying attention and understand correctly as long as I am anal about testing and making sure everything is balanced correctly than I should not have a problem with corrosion? for me this would not be a problem as I am "A.T." to a fault. My next question would be is there a preferred brand of SWC I have looked at Circu Pool any one kn about them

Corrosion would be pretty rare. Some people have trouble with salt deposits on ladder sockets, and in certain areas of the country with little rainfall during the swimming season there are issues with natural stone decks.

Thanks John :-D SW sounds better and better, we had our final walk through of the house today, the deck looks like concrete with whatever the standard coating is applied on top or whatever most people have around there pools or at least what I have seen. So all I have to do is decide on a brand of product ? Will post pics when I figure out how lol