Dichlor question

Jul 7, 2010
Oklahoma City
I'm decontaminating my tub now and intend to start the dichlor/chlorine this week. I've got my 6% unscented bleach but not sure what to get for dichlor. I found some small bags of Swimmers Choice granular shock for $4 that contain "Sodium Dichloroisocyanurate dihydrate". Is this the stuff I want to use or is there a better option? Also, since this is a powder, does it measure the same as liquid? In other words, if the pool calculator calls for 1 oz. can I just pour that amount in a measuring cup, just like I would measure a liquid?

I did get a couple bags so I could super-chlorinate and drain after running the spa flush.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Thank you sir! I found that measuring the dichlor was tough because the pool calculator called for .4 ounces, I didn't have anything that small so I found a measuring spoon with ML on it, then I had to go online and convert oz to ml to figure it out. Is there an easier way? Or better measuring tools you would recommend?

Multiply ounces by 2 to get tablespoons or by 6 to get teaspoons.

2 tablespoons = 1 ounce
1 tablespoon = 0.5 ounce
2 teaspoons = 0.33 ounce
1 teaspoon = 0.17 ounce
1/2 teaspoon = 0.08 ounce
1/4 teaspoon = 0.04 ounce

If you move your mouse over the field that says "by volume" after it, you will see in the top section things like "1 tsp" for 1 teaspoon, but it's not as accurate as using the numbers above. The Pool Calculator was written originally for pools and though it will work for spas, it's not as precise in its volumes when using measuring spoons that may have 1/2 teaspoon and 1/4 teaspoon units.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.