Intelliflo VS+SVRS always going into priming mode

SeaBear

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 23, 2010
I have an intelliflo VS+SVRS pump, installed earlier this year.

I'm generally pretty happy with this pump, however, I do have one problem - it always goes into priming mode when first turned on.

Quoting from the manual:

The Default setting for Priming is disabled. Enabling this feature allows the pump to use its "Flow Technology" to make sure the pump is primed when it starts. This feature will not override the "Max Speed" setting. The priming feature ramps the pump to 1800 RPM and pauses for three (3) seconds. If there is sufficient water flow in the pump basket the pump will go out of priming mode and run its commanded speed. If the flow in the pump basket is not sufficient, the pump will ramp to the "Max Speed" setting and stay there for the priming delay time, which is defaulted at 20 seconds. If there is sufficient water flow in the pump basket at this time, it will go out of priming mode and ramp to the commanded speed. If there is still insufficient flow in the pump basket, the pump will try to prime at the "Maximum Speed" for the amount of time set up in the "Maximum Priming Time" menu.

I have the priming mode enabled and have set the sensitivity to "1". It still always goes into priming mode on startup. I have changed the sensitivity to a wide range of values with no apparent effect.

When it was first installed it used to go straight into operational mode without going into priming mode (although not all the time). I haven't seen it do this for some months now.

Does anyone else have experience with this? Is this something I should be contacting Pentair support about - maybe a sensor gone bad?

I should note that there is no apparent problem with my system actually holding prime. There is no air in getting into the system and the pump basket is always full and no air appears in the system or comes out of my returns (except of course when i've been servicing the pump basket).

My Intelliflow VF is set to prime, if needed, up to 1 minute. It is also set to not-to-exceed 30 GPM while priming. Causes no ill effects and works this way with both manual override mode or filter mode or feature mode (where I use feature mode to override filter mode programming).

I can also reduce the prime duration timing or disable it completely but don't see any benefit for doing so.

I think mine primes every time as well. Bugged the Crud out of me the other night when freeze protect kicked in. The pump is along the master bedroom wall. I ended up setting it to low speed and setting the freeze speed to 1800 rpm. That quieted it down, but don't think that is a long term solution.

>> setting the freeze speed to 1800 rpm. That quieted it down

Intelliflow VF does not make any sounds at speeds up to 1900 RPM, perhaps due to anti-vibration mat

Normal RPM is about 1100 which gives me 25 GPM and Poolvergnuegen performs well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.