Use and care for DE filters

FamilyGuy said:
Awesome i will try that. Much appreciated

2lxcxfb-1.jpg

Based on my experience, a chemical cleaning isn't necessary very often unless it's needed to eliminate the Grid set for high PSI/excessive Backwashing-required issues.

I went through this stuff last summer when I had what was for me, a tough problem that was causing the same symptoms with my D.E. Filter PSI. I had a "pink algae" problem in the pool, which isn't an algae, but an organic problem. It required me to change/clean the D.E. Grids numerous times last summer until I identified the root cause and used a chemical product to eliminate the organic issue in the water.

What was tough for me, were a couple of factors:

- During the time of the problem, the pool water looked great. The reason for that was due to the D.E. Filter capturing all of the organic issue in the water ("pink algae") so the water had no appearance of the problem.

- No local pool store tech or manager was able to identify the exact culprit in my pool. One regional Supervisor for "Leslie's
Pool Stores did identify the problem as an organic but was unable to steer me in the right direction as to a solution. This was after I had provided all of the information that I could, including observations of a pink-colored substance on the grids when I was cleaning them.

The problem that I had, was that I didn't have a chronic problem with the "pink algae", so the other visual indications weren't present in the pool, such as a pink slime on the gunite surfaces or cloudy water issues.

I found the root cause with a Google search in another forum. The poster described the exact symptoms that I was encountering in my pool. The only problem was the poster didn't mention the product he used to eliminate the organic issue in his pool.

After further searches online, I found what cured the problem which was a product called "Pink Treat", produced by United Chemicals. It worked but also converted my pool into a "bromine" pool which masks normal chlorine testing so I wasn't able to determine proper chlorine levels. Draining the pool got me back to normal operations.

Many thanks to "Scott Hamilton" at United Chemicals for helping me identify and fix my "summer of '12" pool problem.

I have since learned that there is another product, called "Yellow Out" that is advertised to treat pink algae. There's another product called "Yellow Treat" that, I believe, is the same composition. From what Leslie's has said, this product eliminates pink algae and doesn't use a bromine-based chemical in it's composition.

The way I looked at this, is the old saying that "it's an ill wind that blows nobody any good", since I learned a lot about D.E. Filters and the cleaning & assembly of the filter.

The only real surprise that I encountered last summer was that there aren't many pool techs/advisors, that have heard about pink algae so that slowed me down during the learning process.

Enjoy your pool
2n8tr4g-1.jpg

I think we've had our pool for 12 years now and have had numerous issues with the Pac Star ST50 DE filter. I have learned more in 15 minutes reading this thread than I got from 3 different, and increasingly expensive, pool stores! Thanks to all!

FWIW- We have a "bump" type filter and I've pretty much given up on the whole bumping idea. It just doesn't work in ours. It's just way more effective to take it apart and hose it out than to stand there twisting and bumping. Plus, bumping seems to be what causes tears in the screen. I'm considering rigging up a home made back wash system which has got to be at least a zillion times better than bumping.

FWIW V2.0- Damp DE will get moldy. Maybe some folks never had this issue, but I've learned to transfer the DE from the ubiquitous cardboard box to a plastic can of some sort (kitty litter cans work fine). Saves a lot of headaches. Moldy DE just doesn't seem to perform well at all.

Thanks again to all. Never again will I be spending $60.00 on "special filter grid cleaning agents"!

That is pretty much the method that I follow since it was taught to me 10 years ago by the original home and pool owner. I only use the acid treatment once a year and usually in early March as it is the first spring cleaning that I perform. I finally learned this year how to keep DE powder from backfilling into the bottom of the pool when changing out the filter. Just close the darned valve. Felt pretty stupid on missing that one but hope to remember that next year.

I think it worth mentioning that after you have opened your filter the first time it's a lot less intimidating from then on. I open mine about every other time it needs to be recharged and hose it clean. We have never had any serious clogs or issues and our pool cleaner operates better. The Hayward Navigator is a suction-side device and needs a strong flow through the line to work properly. Opening the filter more frequently has eliminated the problems I was having with it stalling.

Hi all, :wave: I've been meaning to write up my 'pearls of wisdom re. DE filters' for a while, with some of our members already firing up their pools, I figured I better get it posted :oops:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Use and Care For most DE Filters:

(The units I have a lot of experience with are made by Hayward - so most of this applies specifically to them, but the principles apply to all DE filters)

1) Basics

A DE filter is one which uses diatomaceous earth (~ skeletons or fossils of prehistoric one celled plants) to remove all but the finest material from the water. The DE is a white powder which is mined in various places around the world which was formed by the evaporation of the water that these critters lived in. {NOTE: Do not use food-grade DE as it is different than the DE used for pool filtration} The DE is kept in the water flow of the filter because it coats the internal grids or fingers which make up the filters internal "nets" allowing dirt and debris to be captured by the microscopic paths created by the coating. Because of the nature of the "paths" through the DE coating, algae (which is the approximate size of the paths) can easily and quickly congest a DE filter, most DE filter owners find this to be the biggest drawback of owning one. The DE must be added to the filter via the skimmer, with the pump running, the amount to add is dependent upon the size of the filter. When adding DE to a filter, most manufacturers recommend mixing the powder with water before pouring it into the skimmer - I have found that adding the powder directly into the skimmer is equally effective, if you have more than 1 suction source operating at the time of addition. (having a second, or third, suction source allows the DE rich water from the skimmer to properly mix with "non-DE water" from the other source(s) to evenly coat the grids).

However, DE filters, while providing the finest filtration, DO have their downsides! If you do a "backwash" (discussed later) or do a thorough cleaning of the filter, you need to add more DE to it - and, if you add too much or too little, you'll likely have filter problems! Too much DE will clog the filter and decrease the efficiency of it. Similarly, too little DE will not catch enough (dirt, etc) and cause the grids to clog up with the debris, both of which require a manual cleaning of the grids and possibly a chemical cleaning of them. Also, "bleeding" the air out of the unit before adding DE is KEY! - the fresh DE can only coat the parts of the grids that are in water!

Knowing how much DE you are actually adding to the unit is VERY important! The best way is with a premeasured scoop - they are inexpensive and well worth the $ spent, any place that sells DE should have one available. DO NOT USE a 1lb. scoop or canister that is not specifically for DE (ie. A 1 lb. coffee can only holds ~ ½ lb. DE) If you have an accurate scale that will allow you to weigh the container first and then the weight of the DE when it's full, that's fine -- just be SURE to know ~ how much DE you add when you are adding it! {NOTE: It is a very good idea to weigh the DE in your scoop as it can vary tremendously based on how "packed" the powder is in the scoop. Doing this at least the first time will give you a better feel for how much DE the scoop holds using your methods}

2) Types

There are 2 different types of DE filters:

The first uses "fingers" (fabric wrapped hollow tubes, usually 100/filter) to collect a layer of the DE on. This style is also known as a "bump" filter because the DE can be "recharged" via the use of a handle which moves the whole assembly up and down to expose new pathways in the DE coating without having to replace any DE (I'll talk about "bumping" a filter in a minute.) (There are some "grid" filters which have a handle on the top connected to a plastic plate which operate the same way)

The newer models have a series of grids to collect the DE and either have a multiport valve or a "push/pull" valve (of which I will speak very little). These units allow you to "backwash" most of the DE out when the filter needs to be cleaned. (* some localities do not allow wasted DE to be flushed into sewers or even onto your own property - in that case a "separator" would need to be installed on the backwash line).

3) Start-Up

The fabric which holds the DE does very little to filter the water! As such, a DE filter needs to have a coating of DE on the grids/fingers as soon as the pool is started up. Your installer or pool tech should do this for you the first time and give you a complete lesson on operating your pool (called "pool school" - it's a lot of info all at once and it is very understandable that some of the info is forgotten by a pool owner). The amount of DE required by each filter is determined by the size of the filter - there should be a label on the filter identifying the size of the unit and how much DE it requires when completely clean. As said, KNOWING how much DE you are adding is key! Make sure to note what the pressure gauge reads when the unit is clean and freshly coated with the DE!!

4) Maintenance

Your filter should run anywhere from 8 psi to 20 psi with fresh DE put in it, depending on your pump, plumbing and filter system. Some setups, like with in-floor cleaners, may run at even higher pressures. When the pressure rises 20-25% of the clean pressure, it's time to clean the used DE out of it. (when doing any filter work, turn off the pump)

Bump filters:
1) Turn the pump off.
2) Open the air valve on the top of the unit for ~5 sec. and close (bumping with the unit full of water will harm the unit!)
3) Slowly push the handle down and quickly raise it up 4 - 6 times.
4) Now turn the pump back on and see if the psi went down, if it didn't drop more than 2 psi, you need to dump the used DE.
5) (if you need to dump the DE) - Open the drain outlet on the filter after doing steps 1 and 2 and run the pump for 20 seconds. Close the outlet and run the pump for a minute (don't do this if you have an algae problem! The uncoated parts of the fingers will collect algae too quickly and clog), then repeat the procedure (make sure you open the air relief while the pump is running until water comes out of it)
6) At this point, you have removed ~80% of the old/ used DE so only add 80% of the DE you would use in a new or fully clean filter!!

Grid filters:
1) Pretty much the same as bump, except you have a valve (either the on/off plunger or a multiport) which allows you to backwash the filter when the pressure rises 20-25%.
2) {Always!! Turn off the pump when changing the backwash valve positions!!} Turn the multiport to "backwash" and restart the pump, watch the view-glass or the end of the discharge hose to see when the backwashed water becomes ~clear. When it is fairly clear, turn the multi to "rinse" for 15 - 20 seconds, and then back to "backwash" until the water runs ~clear again. Repeat the "rinse/backwash" cycle until the water comes out clear when backwashing, add a short "rinse" and the filter is about as clean as you'll get it using the "backwash" function.
3) If the water in the pool is fairly clear, I'll throw in a 1 min filter cycle and do the "backwash/rinse" cycle(s) again.
4) At this point, you have removed ~ 80% of the old/ used DE so only add 80% of the DE you would use in a new or fully clean filter!!
5) Note: if you have the on/off plunger valve, you will alternate between "backwash" and "filter" instead of "rinse".

When bumping/ backwashing doesn't work:

Sometimes just "dumping" the old DE isn't enough to get you back to proper filter performance - this can be caused by algae (or some other fine debris clogging the DE), or neglect (you didn't clean the filter soon enough), or the grids/fingers getting clogged up.

At this point, you need to take the filter apart and manually hose them off (it's a wet process - so be prepared to get ~soaked). I recommend the manual hosing every year (I like doing it in the fall when the pool is being closed because, then you know the filter is ready for another season). For a walk-through on taking a grid DE filter apart, see the DE Filter Cleaning Tutorial sticky. If you have a cartridge style DE filter, see the QuadDE Tutorial.

If, when manually rinsing the grids, you notice that water is staying in the membrane for more than ~30 seconds, it's time for a chemical cleaning!

To chemically clean the grids/ nest:
1) Have a bucket/container large enough to hold the entire assembly - A large plastic garbage can works well.
2) #1 Add some TSP (tri-sodium-phosphate) to the water or some electric dishwasher detergent to the water and soak the grids for at least 3 hours - this will "de-grease" the membranes and is the first step in cleaning them, rinse with hose and get ready for step 3.
3) Dump the container, refill with water and add muriatic acid to the water so that you have a 10:1 water:acid mixture and soak the grids for at least another 3 hours, this will clean any calcium off of the grids. Rinse grids again and reinstall them in the filter.
4) Now, run pump and bleed off the air from the filter and add 100% of the DE the filter calls for.

I Hope that this is enough for most DE filter owners; if you have any questions, we'll be here to answer them!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That's about the best I could come up with, having only 5 months to work on it :roll: :lol:

If any of you see any mistakes, wrong info, omissions or places where I'm less than lucid - please point them out so I can edit this and make it look like I used my 5 months well :p

Minor edits, jblizzle, 4/4/13
Added link to DE cleaning tutorial sticky, jblizzle, 7/15/14
Added link to QuadDe tutorial, jblizzle 4/16/16
Step 2. Add "Some" TSP. How much?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
For all spa cartridges and elements used in swimming pools where perspiration, suntan lotions, and other oils are present, soak the element for at least one hour (over night is more effective) in (1) a commercial filter cleaner; or (2) one cup trisodium phosphate (TSP) to five gallons water; or (3) one cup dishwasher detergent to five gallons of water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.