Rockstead

Sep 2, 2010
Montreal, QC, Canada
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
I would like to buy one, but I have a lot of kids, I often have people over and I don't intend to leave it in the pool from an eye sore perspective and it would be like putting up a target in my family.

So how simple is it to remove and put back on?

Can I do it from outside the pool?

I'm hoping it is some form of quick disconnect and no tools are necessary.

I'm going to order one as soon as I hear back if it ends up not being diffiicult.

Too bad they are so expensive at 100.

Re: Poolskim - how difficult and how quick to remove / reins

The hardest part of the install is getting the initial configuration right for your pool. It comes with several pieces of pvc piping so you can find the right height and angle for your pool and use little self tapping screws to hold it together. Once that is set, you unscrew the return eye from the pool and screw in the poolskim return. The poolskim attaches to the return with a screw on union. You can swap out the return for the pool skim in a couple of minutes. This link shows how the poolskim is installed I have had mine for 3 years and just love it!

zea3 said:
The hardest part of the install is getting the initial configuration right for your pool. It comes with several pieces of pvc piping so you can find the right height and angle for your pool and use little self tapping screws to hold it together. Once that is set, you unscrew the return eye from the pool and screw in the poolskim return. The poolskim attaches to the return with a screw on union. You can swap out the return for the pool skim in a couple of minutes. This link shows how the poolskim is installed I have had mine for 3 years and just love it!

Oh so you can install and remove it from outside the pool, I just read some comments where someone said you had to be in the pool but I don't know why.

On the poolskim site one of the things they say you will need to know if your inlet returns in your pool use a straight pipe (unthreaded)? If so they recommend the Polaris wall connection kit, and if I need to order it, I need to know if I should choose either the 1&1/2 inch or 1 inch stub pipe connection kits.

My pool is only 2 years old so I'm not sure what type of equipment I'm likely to have' I'm sure it must be pretty standard but I don't know what standard is.

You should be able to reach into the pool and unscrew the return eye. If the fitting for the return eye is threaded then you should be good to go without the Polaris wall connection kit. If you do need the kit, I would go with the 1 1/2". That is pretty common pipe diameter for pools.

AnnaK said:
It's easy enough to install and remove from the outside. IMO, it's not an eyesore and it can withstand quite a beating. Our dogs occasionally mistake the collection bag for a toy and try to retrieve it.

Here's a link to our installation: http://ellerbach.com/Pool/PoolSkim/

Wow you did an excellent job of displaying it, much better job than poolskim has done, good for you and thank you, when you google poolskim there are not too many discussion threads, guaranteed a lot of people will pull up your link.

Thanks for the compliment. I'm hoping the pictures will help. It's a bit of a pricy piece of equipment but it really does a fine job of catching floating debris. In our pool, that's tree bracts from the birch, pollen, flying ants, Japanese beetles, dog hair, leaves. The collection bag is very easy to empty: just hold it upside down and shake the stuff out, and the clamp makes it convenient to take off and put back on.

Finally bought a poolskim, I just received it.

It hasn't been installed yet, I was just reading over the instructions. My pool has 5 inlets, 2 in the stairs and 3 in the pool. Do really have to install all those plates on my existing inlets and do they all have to remain closed as per the instructions?

If so, how will the pool have good water flow?

You can probably install it without restricting the other returns. Turn the pump on and feel the force coming out of the returns. If one feels stronger than the others use that one to install the poolskim. If the force coming out of the returns feel weak then you may need to restrict one or two returns to improve the force at the poolskim.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

The flow from all my jets seem fine, even with the poolskim attached, and the poolskim appears to be working, not sure I need to change anything, I'm bad at these things.

Another thing on the direction, my pool has 5 inlets, two in the stairs and 3 on the wall opposite the wall of the skimmer. I have them pointing clockwise starting with the one in the shallow area up to the deep end where I have used the last one for the poolskim.

Do I want the poolskim setup to work clockwise as well? If so, that means it has to be placed to the right of the inlet it is attached to assuming you are inside the pool looking at the inlet?

I have it currently set to the left instead, it appears to be working but that doesn't mean I have it setup right of as efficient as it could be.

Not sure if I should post a photo.

Keep an eye on it for a little while. If the water coming out of the poolskim seems to be blowing debris away before they can reach the "hat" on the poolskim then you will need to switch it so the water coming from the poolskim is flowing the same direction and not creating an opposing current.

Another Poolskim recommendation! In my experience, its easy to remove and reinstall. I always do it from the pool deck, just kneel down and reach in the water. However, I rarely remove it. In prior years, esp. in April and May, I usually have to skim my pool twice a day, and my skimmer baskets are overflowing everyday. With the Poolskim, I have not had to skim my surface manually even once this year, and my baskets have very little in them. I think it is the best pool product I've ever bought -- actually does what it says it will do. Now, my Kreepy Kraully -- that's another story...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.