Kool Deck edge repair question

Nov 28, 2011
Hello all,
I have a question on how to properly repair my pool deck.

The pool deck is Kool Deck and at the edges where the Kool Deck meets the house foundation the is a gap of about an inch. it wasn't there originally and now it is pretty weathered. It appears the edges had wood about an inch across and on top of that the Kool Deck which meet the concrete of the foundation of the house.

I was simply going to fill the gap with a concrete patch material but the gap and wood edge had me wondering how I should repair this?

Any help / advice would be appreciated.

Frank...

Hello,
Thanks for the response. The crack is pretty deep maybe an 1 1/2" where the wood is gone. It has wood around the edges and in some cases that wood is rotted and gone so it has the crack. It is close to an inch. More in some areas less in others. = \

I have attached a pic as you requested.

Again, thanks much for the response.

Attachments

• pooledge.bmp
    100 KB · Views: 86
Got it. Here is what I think I would do because you need to stop the water from flowing into that crack. (and it's unsightly)

1. With a chisel or perhaps an angle grinder, try to make that crack a little more uniform in width. Scoop out (somehow) any remaining wood so the crack is at least 1/2 in deep everywhere.

2. Suppliers to the concrete business (and sometimes Home Depot) carry a product called "backer rod". It is a round, plastic foam rod that will come in several diameters. Push that backer rod down into the gap to a depth of at least 1/4 inch....you may need different diameters to do this.

3. Caulk the remaining gap with a good polyurethane caulk. It is fairly messy to work with (doesn't wash up like acrylic or silicone will) but, once you get it into the crack and allow it to cure, it will last for several years.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.