help me choose a SWG

dombey

Apr 25, 2010
Oregon
Hi guys,

In the spring I am planning on installing a SWG because my pool runs through a gallon of chlorine/day during the summer and dealing with the expense and holding the inventory is getting old.

A couple of questions for you.

Given my pool size and my typical run time of only 6 hrs/day on the pool pump, which specific SWG would you recommend? Are there other things needed other than the SWG unit and salt for the pool?
Really my only criteria are reliability/longevity, ability to turn it down to an appropriate level during the winter. I have a feeling there is a lot I don't know about running one of these bad boys so I'm looking for specific recommendations to the extent that you can give them!

Also, I'm pretty handy, is this something I can attempt myself or is it worth paying someone to do it?
Thanks guys!!!

I don't recommend the IC-60 unless you have a Pentair automation system. Without an automation system it only provides very coarse 20% adjustment steps.

The CompuPool units are very reasonably priced and have a good reliability record. It is also worth looking at the AquaRite.

Will the IC-60 produce more chlorine in a shorter run time than the smaller units?

I ask this due to the fact that dombey needs a full gallon of chlorine everyday during the summer. I have to run my Jandy 1400 unit 15 hours a day at 80% output to keep up with my chlorine demand. My wife teaches lessons all day long and that just eats up our chlorine. Being in California our electric rates are high and we were paying $180 more a month this summer to run the pool. The lessons more than made up for that though.

What I'm getting at is this; will dombey have to have a significant longer on time with the smaller cell or will he be better off with the larger cell? With my limited knowledge, the larger IC-60 cell might be the best option.

Here's a couple links that attempt to compare outputs of different SWCG.
http://faq.poolforum.com/products/salt-water-chlorine-generators-compared
http://www.discountsaltpool.com/Full_Market_Comparison.htm

Couple of things to keep in mind:
1. Pump run time. SWCG only runs if you have water moving (pump on) If you only run your pump 8 hours a day that"s 1/3 of the day.
2. SWCG have a fixed life span. They will only produce so much chlorine before they need to have the plates replaced. Think of beer can, it has 12 ounces, you can guzzle it down all at once or stretch it out over time. (not the best analogy) but hopefully you'll get the idea. Approximately if it will last 2 years at 100% theoretically it should last 4 years at 50% output.
3. Bigger is better to a point. The daily output is rated for 24 hours. I think most people only run their pump 8 - 12 hours a day so they tend to up size the SWCG to compensate the hourly output. It's easier/cheaper to turn down the output than increase the pump run time.

Usually the cost to go up in size is only a couple hundred dollars. Which if it increases the life of the cell because you can run lower production levels. It works out to be cost effective. Also if you need to boost up the level it's there. Some SWCG have a boost function to increase the chlorine production but I feel it's better to use liquid bleach at those times. (Unexpected high bather load or when you want to to shock.) The greatest thing is it maintains a steady level of chlorine in the pool. So you don't have to shock because the chlorine level got too low.

I don't sell compupool I have one and like it. Here's a link to the company with output levels.http://www.compupoolproducts.com/product/salt_water-cpsc_self_cleaning.html
I'm not but it looks like the CPSC48
Chlorine output: 2.5 lb / day (1.1 kg / day)
Running Cost: 460 Watt / 1.5 amp
Suitable for pools up to 60,000 gallons (250,000 litres)

CPSC36
Chlorine output: 1.9 lb / day (0.85 kg / day)
Running Cost: 320 Watt / 1.2 amp
Suitable for pools up to 40,000 gallons (160,000 litres)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.