Polaris is slow

perryy

Aug 7, 2007
NC
I've a Polaris 380. It worked nicely last season, but now that I am getting ready for this year it is operating weakly. I checked the wheel RPM per the users manual and found it to be slow - it's about 24, but is supposed to be between 28 and 32. So, it does not have the strength to crab around the side of the pool; it just sits there until the reversing unit pulls it back and it may just retrace its path over and over. I do not have a restricting disk at the pool wall; and the pressure regulator is shut, allowing full flow through the hose.
Booster pump is new.
Backwashing the DE filter makes some difference, but with a recently backwashed filter it behaves as described above. I have not opened and serviced the filter since last year, so I'm guessing there might be some restriction in the filter. I'm planning to do the filter myself this time, after observing the pool guy do it last year.
Any thoughts?

perryy said:
I've a Polaris 380. It worked nicely last season, but now that I am getting ready for this year it is operating weakly. I checked the wheel RPM per the users manual and found it to be slow - it's about 24, but is supposed to be between 28 and 32. So, it does not have the strength to crab around the side of the pool; it just sits there until the reversing unit pulls it back and it may just retrace its path over and over. I do not have a restricting disk at the pool wall; and the pressure regulator is shut, allowing full flow through the hose.
Booster pump is new.
Backwashing the DE filter makes some difference, but with a recently backwashed filter it behaves as described above. I have not opened and serviced the filter since last year, so I'm guessing there might be some restriction in the filter. I'm planning to do the filter myself this time, after observing the pool guy do it last year.
Any thoughts?
You may also want to check the small filter in the wall connector. That gets gunked up with sand or DE occasionally. Also, is you pressure gauge showing normal levels?

Just a thought, you might want to check the booster pump's impeller for blockage. Another place that something may be obstructing the flow is in the unit itself - it only takes a small leaf or twig lodged in there to reduce the flow.

A 'quick and dirty' way to see if the filter is the problem is to try running it on 'recirc' and see if the polaris works properly (if you don't have a multiport, this won't work :roll: )

Good luck with the fix, if you need any more help, you know where to find us.

im having similar problem except that my polaris doesnt even move after a bit. what is happening is that the screen at the quick connect is getting clogged up super fast. i didnt think about doing the recirculate, that will help me figure out if the filter has a leak allowing for debris to get through, but i think there is just a lot of stuff in the pipes from when there WAS a leak in the filter and lots of seedlings got pumped through.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.