Lots of work in Rhode Island!

jcat

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 28, 2008
North East
Hello all!

Just purchased a house in good ol RI. It came with a 16x32 IG vinyl pool.
Here are the details.

Pool is around 30 years old, i was told liner is 2 years old.
Pool was not open last summer.
The filter looks to be somewhat new and i found a receipt for DE in the house from 3-4 years ago.
I do not know how deep or how many gallons it holds.
I have peaked @ the water level and looks to be @ correct closing level.
Unsure of plumbing.
The pool area needs alot of attention as well, fence needs to be power washed or replaced.
Since this is my first pool, I am going to try the BBB method, seems to be rather easy.
I have been hawking around this site for a while and have learned alot.
I will post some pics as the process starts.
I hope not to ask to many stupid questions, but i am sure i will. The first thing i am going to purchase is the tft-100 testing kit.

Be talking to you,

Joe :-D

I forgot to mention the pervious owner is no longer with us, so i have to figure everything out myself.

there are a lot of really smart people here who can help you. Unfortunately, I'm not one of them but I look forward to hearing about your progress. Very rewarding to see people take on the responsibility and succeed.

I would suggest you try to get it opened as early as is reasonable due to the fact that you will have a load of algae in it, and cold water is your friend when it comes to retarding algae growth. Another benefit to opening early is that if there is an equipment issue, you still have some slack time to get it repaired/replaced without having the water getting worse by the second. Personally, I would probably plan on opening as soon as it looks like the freezing weather is done for the year. That way you'll have plenty of time to get it cleaned up before swimming weather gets here.

The test kit is the best first step. You might also hunt around and see if there is a pool store in your area that carries liquid chlorine at a good price. Just smile and nod your head when they try to give you advice though. :roll: Alternatively, the Great Value 6% bleach at Walmart will do fine.

Find out about your filter and pump so you know about drain plugs. Normally people put them in strainer baskets, but yours may have been stashed someplace else, and they may have been hauled off. Typically there is one in the pump strainer, one in the impeller housing of the pump, and one in the filter itself.

No such thing as a dumb question when you don't know the answer, so post away. 9 times out of 10, when you ask a question you think is dumb, somebody else was wondering the same thing but afraid to ask. It can seem overwhelming at first because there is so much new stuff, but it's really very simple to take care of a pool. Your job will be a little harder this year.

Here's a post of mine that might be informative about what you will probably face with clearing the pool Algae Diary My pool opening last year was delayed by new plumbing and construction, and the post details my cleanup efforts.

Thanks John, i saw your posts on the poolforum also. I found the poolforum first, but the site is closed. Thanks for the advice of an early opening. I am hoping all major parts are functional, i have my fingers crossed. As i learn what i have i will post and see if anyone else has any info. What is your guestimate of how many gallons? I know there is a deep and shallow end.

jcat said:
What is your guestimate of how many gallons? I know there is a deep and shallow end.

It depends a lot on how deep it is. IF it's a standard hopper-bottom type rectangle, 8.5' at the deep end and 4' at the shallow, it's probably around 20,000 gallons.

Hey, jcat,

The first thing i am going to purchase is the tft-100 testing kit.
Well, taking care of your pool will be no problem....you are obviously incredibly smart and probably very handsome/good looking, as well!! :lol: :lol:

John's got you covered on pool size. Let us know if it has a diving depth or not. That'll be close enough to start getting your dosages right. Also tell us how your water looks right now. That'll be a good place to start.

All of us LOVE questions and you will get good, solid help from a multitude of folks. Welcome.