Pool Pump Shutting Off -- Any Advice?

Nov 25, 2011
Hey all...First time here, hoping someone can give some advice. I've got a 3 year old, 1.5hp Hayward 2-cycle pump.

I came home two days ago and noticed the pump wasn't on. Went outside and the strainer basket cover had somehow come loose and was slightly "rattling." The pump was cycling on and off after a slight cool down period, but was presumably running dry for who knows how long.

The pump still turns on for about 20-30 seconds and then shuts off (with a VERY low sounding hum after that). It doesn't trip the breaker, so its shutting down on its own. I've tested the usual -- disconnected motor and checked impeller (its ok), looked for any pressure issues/clogs (none that I can see).

I did pull the capacitor that's mounted on top of the motor. When I test it with a multimeter, it doesn't move the needle at all (Multitester is operating properly for other things). So I'm assuming the capacitor is completely gone. But would a bad capacitor still allow the motor to run for 20-30 secs each time before shutting down?

Any other ideas? I'd rather not call out for service if I can avoid it.

Thanks!

Ok, I replaced the capacitor (which tested well on the mutlimeter) -- but unfortunately I'm having the same problem. This time it ran about 10 secs longer than the last time but it still cut off.

There was also a strong 'metal' burning smell coming from the motor.

I removed the new capacitor and tested it -- and it still tests ok so it hasn't burn out yet.

Any suggestions?

I replaced the capacitor, and it lasted about 10 secs longer than last time, but its still shutting off. This time I'm noticing a distinct burning smell. I removed the new capacitor and it still tests ok, so it hasn't burn out yet.

I'm at a loss...any other thoughts as to what could be causing this?

Well I broke down and bought a new motor. The seals are there too. The new motor seems to hum much better. The only change was I moved from a 2-speed to a single speed. We are probably selling the house in the spring and wanted to save money. I just need to ensure my wiring on the timer is correct as right now my main pump and fountains fire up on the same circuit. I'll fix that tomorrow.

PS...If anyone has any good links for wiring 2 or 3 aux devices on a single digit timer, I'd love to see it.

Thanks for all the help!

Hey gang...I got it working. It was just a matter of ensuring the right mode on the timer was selected to power the correct circuits. Everything has been working well all morning and things are starting to clear up.

Thanks for the help!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.