is cost the only reason for smaller pump

bg458

Nov 17, 2011
Hi I was given 1.5 HP Jacuzzi pump and was reading that a smaller pump is better. Is this only because of cost? I pay 0.059 kwh at off peak 0.089 kwh at mid and 0.107 kwh at peak, would it be worth getting a smaller pump? At those rates how much would I actually save?

The general philosophy here is that
A - bigger filter is better
B - smaller pump (as long as it does at least one turnover / 24 hours) is better, because slower will filter better, and should use less energy .What makes a 2 speed pump so popular is that they actually do this - use the high speed for clearing the skimmer / cleaning, and the low speed most of the time for basic filtering / water circulation.

You also don't want too large a pump because it could damage the rest of your pool equipment, or even the pool itself.

JohnT said:
That pump is probably too big. Your filter more than likely can't handle the flow.
The pair are a set that came together, do you think the company themselves would put a mismatched set together? Sorry for the dump questions I am just starting out and trying to learn.

scooperhsd said:
The general philosophy here is that
A - bigger filter is better
B - smaller pump (as long as it does at least one turnover / 24 hours) is better, because slower will filter better, and should use less energy .What makes a 2 speed pump so popular is that they actually do this - use the high speed for clearing the skimmer / cleaning, and the low speed most of the time for basic filtering / water circulation.

You also don't want too large a pump because it could damage the rest of your pool equipment, or even the pool itself.

According to this the best thing would be to use one of those small intex 530gph pump and Jimmy it to a huge sand filter, right ?

The Intex 530 gph pump is too small to vacuum reliably and effectively.

If your 1.5 HP pump is designed for above ground pools and it is already paid for and can not be returned, then you are probably better off just keeping it. In-ground pumps are usually stronger for the same HP, and likely to be too large. But an above-ground pump is usually relatively small for it's labeled HP. At your electric rates, switching pumps will not make up the loss of a working pump you have already paid for in electrical savings.

If you do have the opportunity to return or exchange the pump, then I recommend getting the smallest two speed pump you can find, likely either 3/4 HP or 1 HP. Low speed will save electricity and high speed will be around for times when you need it, like vacuuming.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If the service factor is not shown, it usually means that it is close to 1.0. What is your interest in the service factor?

Why do you need to know THP? The "size" of the pump is only loosly associated with THP. The head curve is what really tells you the size of the pump. Two pump's with the same THP can have vastly different head curves. This is especially true of AG pumps vs IG pumps.

Most any single speed pump is going to be an energy hog. If the motor is rated at 12 amps, you know it probably will not draw more than that so less than 1400 watts. A smaller pump would be more energy efficient but a two speed would be much more efficient.

As for if it is too big for the pool, from an energy standpoint, I would say yes. However, it is matched with the filter so it is probably ok for at least the filter. Most sand filters can handle a lot of flow rate although it is not ideal for filtering.

So it is really up to you if you want to replace the pump. A two speed would probably pay for itself over the life of the pump but it could take several years for break even depending on the cost of the new pump.

It depends on the height of the panels and the pump model. If the panels are on the ground, any pump will do. The higher the panels, the higher the head curve must be. But most IG pumps can handle a two story installation. However, some of the smaller low head AG pumps will not. A rule of thumb is that the pump head curve should reach at least twice height of the installation at 40 GPM.

I use a 1/2 HP (0.5) IG pump with panels at a height of 25' above the pump. Panels prime quickly and vacuum release remains closed even when I bypass some of the water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.