Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: zman's Pool Construction

1. Back To Top    #1

zman's Pool Construction

Hi everybody. New here. We are about 3 weeks into construction of our pool here north of Dallas. Our builder is Riverbend Sandler. It's a pretty small pool but we are limited on space.

Here are some photos.

Zman Pool Photos

2. Back To Top    #2
    Welcome to TFP.

Exciting isn't it?

Post some of your specifications so we can day deam with you. Soon you'll be doing cannon balls.

Good Luck!
    20x40 24,000 gal IG plaster/CircuPool RJ45 SWG/2 skimmer/2sp 2.5hp Jandy Stealth/340sq ft cart filter/600sqftHeliocol Solar Panels/6ft semi circlr tanning ledge/25ft deep end bench/5ft sheer descent/2 lion head water features/1300sqft travertine paver/2 Colorlogic lights/Hayward Navigator/3step 2ft raised bond beam

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the welcome.

It is about a 10k gallon pool (314 square feet diameter).

Jandy DE Filter
    Jandy 2.5HP Circulation Pump
    Jandy 2.0HP booster pump
    Polaris 290
    Laars LXI400 Heater

We went with standard chlorine... I was afraid of the SWG causing pitting on the decking. We are getting stamped concrete.

I'm pretty stoked now that I can see the pool taking shape.

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome zman..... That's what we like, lots of pictures.
    Hotrod30

20 X 40 foot vinyl Borates and Salt Pool
    Rolachem Chlorine Feeder
    Hayward 27 inch sand filter with 80 lbs of pea gravel
    Jacuzzi Splash Pak SP55 DE filter in parallel
    Pentair VF3050 pump

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry
    Hey, zman,

Welcome. That's a monster circulation pump for that size pool. W-a-a-a-y too big. If it's not a typo, I'd suggest you sit down with your PB and think about working on something much smaller....say in the .75 HP range.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    Hey, zman,

Welcome. That's a monster circulation pump for that size pool. W-a-a-a-y too big. If it's not a typo, I'd suggest you sit down with your PB and think about working on something much smaller....say in the .75 HP range.
    i think its perfect since he has a spa. Its probably a 2 speed, low for normal circulation and high for spa action. then the booster for even more spa action

it also looks like he has a water fall. so i think the size is alright.

but FOUR main drains WOW.

7. Back To Top    #7
    Looking good. I like the grotto and really like the stone wall along the base of the fence - nice touch.
    TFP Founder

My Pool: 13K gal IG gunite with 7' spa, Pentair Cartridge Filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG, Polaris 280 Cleaner, TF-100 Test Kit w/ salt test.

8. Back To Top    #8

The circulation pump is 2 speed so it shouldn't be too much overkill.

No work done the past couple of days due to the weather. Looks like it will clear up today. I'll update the photos as soon as they make some more progress.

9. Back To Top    #9

Lookin' good Z!

I'm in the middle of a build too! Hopefully we both have good luck and make good time!

Jim
    Fortune favors the well prepared

The build...
    viewtopic.php?t=3974
    Freeform 24' x 38' IG gunite. 3 1/2' to 8' deep. 28,500 gallons. AutoPilot Total Control SWCG. Pentair Intelliflo VF. Pentair CCP520 cartridge filter. Colorlogic LED lights. Tahoe Blue Diamond Brite. 1200 sq ft stamped concrete deck.
    More details as they happen...

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry
    zman,

The circulation pump is 2 speed so it shouldn't be too much overkill.
    I agree.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

11. Back To Top    #11

I'm really glad I found this site. I wasn't really sure about how to maintain the chemicals, etc. The PB told me the inline chlorinator would be pretty maintenance free. Now that I've read this site it looks like using that will result in too much CYA.

I'll keep catching up on the posts in the chemicals forum. The stickys have also been really helpful.

12. Back To Top    #12
    zman,

you are well on your way to a TFP! You hit the nail on the head about the CYA... glad you learned that NOW, and not after the fact!

Welcome!

8000 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, 12" sand filter (don't have the specs on the pump), TF100 test kit
    Handy Links: PoolMath, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, CYA-Chlorine Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!

13. Back To Top    #13

Welcome,

Pool looks awesome!! What do you plan for an interior finish?

You could consider the Liquidator for sanitation purposes. Check out the thread here http://www.troublefreepool.com/about1476.html
    Dave
    -------
    Our pool-
    20x40 Free Form Gunite (3'-8'), 26,000 G, AutoPilot Salt Chlorine Generator SC-48, Aqua blue pebble sheen, Textured Sundek, Pentair Easy touch with remote control, 1hp Sta-Rite Max-E-Pro pump, Max-E- Therm heater 333k BTU, System 3 Mod Media Cartridge filter, and Polaris 380 cleaner with booster pump

14. Back To Top    #14
    Quote Originally Posted by zman
    I'm really glad I found this site. I wasn't really sure about how to maintain the chemicals, etc. The PB told me the inline chlorinator would be pretty maintenance free. Now that I've read this site it looks like using that will result in too much CYA.

I'll keep catching up on the posts in the chemicals forum. The stickys have also been really helpful.
    Yes, i learned that the hard way, VERY hard way.

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by DLSDO
    Welcome,

Pool looks awesome!! What do you plan for an interior finish?

You could consider the Liquidator for sanitation purposes. Check out the thread here http://www.troublefreepool.com/about1476.html
    Interior finish is pebble sheen (sand color). I am definitely looking at the liquidator. That seems like a great product. I just have to install it when my wife isn't home. She'd have a fit if I was drilling holes in the piping right after we get the pool built.

16. Back To Top    #16

Zman, nice pool! We're not too far from you, in Forney just east of Dallas. Our pool was just filled a week ago, pics here:

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/po ... 85.html?82

I'd suggest not starting the BBB method until your pool is stable and balanced on the inline chlorinator. It takes years for the CYA levels to become a problem. Give it a few months to make sure you don't have any warranty issues, then convert over to BBB. That way the PB won't have anything/ anyone else to blame if a problem comes up.
    Our pool adventure... click here

17. Back To Top    #17
    Welcome to TFP and congrats on your new pool!

Joyce
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

18. Back To Top    #18

Pool looks great! I really envy the space you have at your place.

Quote Originally Posted by TresW
    Zman, nice pool! We're not too far from you, in Forney just east of Dallas. Our pool was just filled a week ago, pics here:

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/po ... 85.html?82

I'd suggest not starting the BBB method until your pool is stable and balanced on the inline chlorinator. It takes years for the CYA levels to become a problem. Give it a few months to make sure you don't have any warranty issues, then convert over to BBB. That way the PB won't have anything/ anyone else to blame if a problem comes up.

19. Back To Top    #19

Thanks Zman! The big yard is really great... except when it comes time to mow it, haha!
    Our pool adventure... click here

20. Back To Top    #20
    Looking good...keep the photos coming.
    36,000 gallon IG
    Tahoe Blue Pebble Tec
    2HP - 60SqFt DE Filtration w/nature2 & in-line chlorinator
    1HP Polaris 380
    1HP Booster w/8ft Waterfall

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast