Update on drain & refill

Gardog

Feb 17, 2008
I drained half the water in my pool. I ran out of the chemical to test my CYA so I'm ordering a new kit this week.
My TC is still up around 8-10ppm. My test only goes to 5ppm. I'm refilling with city water, so is this why my TC is high?
Ph is 7.6
My water now is crystal clear where before it was a bit cloudy.

Gdog

In general it is better if you keep all of your comments/questions on a particular question/event in a single topic. That way it is much simpler for others to see the entire context and understand what has gone before.

Public water typically has either FC or CC levels around 1 to 5. In situations where the fill water has CC (chloramines) it can sometimes require shocking the pool to get rid of the CC. Any CC from the fill water would be added to the FC from any chlorine you have added to create the TC reading, making the TC levels show fairly high.

This is a situation where having a better test kit will make a large difference. I would add some chlorine each day at something approaching your "usual" rate until you get your new test kit and can tell what is really happening. If it is simply high FC you will have wasted a little chlorine. But if it is actually CC you will have prevented a probable algae outbreak.

If you have the common OTO chlorine test, drops turn the water various shades of yellow which are then compared to a color standard, you can watch the color during the first 30 or 40 seconds after you add the drops. If the TC level is a mixture of FC and CC the solution will turn one color for several seconds and then shift to another color. If the TC level is all FC then it will go directly to the final color. This can be a little problematic, since you need to mix a little first which uses up time and it isn't always easy to be sure of the color quickly enough to know you saw it before it starts changing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.