Does CYA ever dissipate over time?

Yes, but normally only over the winter. There is some process, no one is sure quite what but probably anaerobic bacteria, that can remove most or all of the CYA over the winter. This seems to happen about 1/3 of the time and is usually associated with covered pools that get algae over the winter.

The other thing that happens is that people often underestimate how much water replacement can happen from rain and splash out.

ivyleager,

Did your chlorine level get towards zero over the winter or were you maintaining its level? If it went to zero, the soil bacteria could then grow in the pool consuming the CYA, and when you opened up you'd have a lot of ammonia in the pool (the bacteria break down the CYA into ammonia and carbon dioxide). So you might find a HUGE chlorine demand upon startup as you have to oxidize all the ammonia.

If you maintained FC levels over the winter, then the drop in CYA is more of a mystery.

Richard

Well, gee, I wish mine would do the mysterious winter drop! I've been working on lowering mine for the past 2 years. When I bought the place it was at 122, so have had 2 full summers using strictly BBB method (thank you guys!!!! I learned everything about pool care from the message boards!) along with Polyquat 60 due to high CYA's. I think I ended last season at about 95. Realizing that our season is only 4 months, if that, being here in Minnesota. Still have aways to go but it will get there. Since it's only me who uses the pool I don't get alot of splash out so rely on rain and backwashing/evaporation/topping off to getting the level down. Eventually it will get there!

chem geek said:
ivyleager,

Did your chlorine level get towards zero over the winter or were you maintaining its level? If it went to zero, the soil bacteria could then grow in the pool consuming the CYA, and when you opened up you'd have a lot of ammonia in the pool (the bacteria break down the CYA into ammonia and carbon dioxide). So you might find a HUGE chlorine demand upon startup as you have to oxidize all the ammonia.

If you maintained FC levels over the winter, then the drop in CYA is more of a mystery.

Richard
Yes, it was rock bottom of zero when I officially opened last year in April. However, for most of the winter the pool stayed on line, I was able to circulate chemicals (bleach and an occasional 8 oz of Polyquat). It was at zero several times over the winter, tho. Just added bleach when needed, which wasn't too often. I did have a 12 hour episode of "cloudy" water in May, which I just shocked and it went away. Early stages of a bloom, I'm sure.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.