Pump Strainer Pot Lid Handle Cracked Off!!!

bhype1

Nov 19, 2011
I recently purchased a house with a modest sized pool in the back (~18,000 gallons). I decided to take on the duty of maintaining the pool and it has been a learning experience. As a lot of the parts around the pool are about 16 years old, things are a little brittle. Today I wanted to remove the pump strainer pot lid to empty some debris I could see through the see-through lid (pac fab screw down lid). In the past I've had to wrestle with this thing to get it off. Today was no different and in the past I would tap the lid handle with a rubber mallet to loosen the lid a little. To my horror :hammer: , one of the handle attachment points cracked away from the lid leaving the handle only attached on one side. The crack is through the lid so to make matters worse, the pump will not prime. I had no success searching online for others in this same predicament so I hope I am not the first person to experience this! Duhhhh... In light of this debacle, I've learned that there is actually a wrench used in removing the lid. Had I known this I would have purchased this long ago. That will be my next purchase!

Any suggestions? I thought about using come liquid nails or something to reattach the lid handle but not sure if it will hold given the amount of pressure needed to unscrew the lid.

How about getting a new lid and a tube of lube? They are normally easily obtained.

Manually add unscented bleach and brush/scoop the debris until you get the system up again. The brushing and scooping will stir the water so the bleach is circulated. I suggest once in the morning and once in the early afternoon at a minimum.

Scott

The handle is only attached by about a square inch of plastic now so I have very little to grab on to not to mention its only on one side of the lid.

I tried strap wrench with no luck since the lip of the lid is so thin.

Might have to take a drill/saw to it and remove it in pieces.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Drill a horizontal 3/8-inch hole on each side as close to the flat part as possible, then take a long 3/8-inch metal rod and put it all of the way through the lid and use that to unscrew the lid.

Also, you could warm the strainer pot with a hairdryer to get it to expand a little.

PEN355301-F.jpg

JamesW said:
Drill a horizontal 3/8-inch hole on each side as close to the flat part as possible, then take a long 3/8-inch metal rod and put it all of the way through the lid and use that to unscrew the lid.

Also, you could warm the strainer pot with a hairdryer to get it to expand a little.

PEN355301-F.jpg

Thanks everyone for the advice! I'll attempt JamesW's method tomorrow and will let you know how it goes.

Executed JamesW's suggestion with one trip over to homedepot to purchase a metal bar....this method removed the lid so easily! All lids should have something similar built in! Thanks again to everyone for the suggestions...off to the pool store to pick up a new lid!

20111120_163105.jpg

Don't forget the silicon pool lube! Put a layer around the lid's o-ring each time you take it off and you should be able to turn the lid easily. Mine has the same type of lid and it made a world of difference!

zea3 said:
Don't forget the silicon pool lube! Put a layer around the lid's o-ring each time you take it off and you should be able to turn the lid easily. Mine has the same type of lid and it made a world of difference!
Absolutely, I applied it last time I took the kid off. Do you apply to threads as well?:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.