New build - McKinney, TX

Oct 3, 2011
Like so many others have said, this is a great forum and I have learned a ton of info.

I have never owned nor maintained a pool; the learning curve was steep. I spent 10 weeks researching and talking to different pool builders.

We talked to: Riverbend Sandler, Hobert, Gold Medal, SouthernWind, and Foley
DO take the time to review ripoff reports and BBB. Although it is uncomfortable, have the critical conversation with the builder about those reports. The responses were very telling.

We reduced our choices to Southernwind and Foley, but finally selected Foley Pools.
I think SouthernWind would build a great pool too.
To-date the Foley subs have done quality work. ( I am sure I just jinxed the rest of the build )

Our home backs-up to a creek/greenbelt and we have a sloping, small yard.
This resulted in narrow pool, special equipment for the dig and a few retaining walls.

33’ x 13’
3.5’ – 5’ – 4’
12,000 Gal
Wet-mix shotcrete
PeebleSheen Blue Granite
Stone coping
2 gushers and 2 bubblers

Pentair VS+SVRS
Pentair SWG
Pentair 60 Sq Ft DE Filter
Regular light
Pentair Grey Legend w/ booster
Solarium 125TI Heat/Cool Heat Pump ( poolheatpumps.com )

445 sq ft of deck
Colored concrete with a salt finish

When we have had the opportunity, we always pass on spa usage. That combined with our space restrictions led to a pool-only.

I researched Ozone heavily, but unless you have about 6-8 of the CD type running .. it is like cleaning a highway with a toothbrush.

I researched in-floor cleaners heavily. Replacing my pressure-side cleaner every 3 years is still ~$3k cheaper over any duration vs the up-front cost and head replacement of the in-floor.

I looked at a few pools with LED lights, and decided the effects were not worth the cost. We are spending money for a nice pebble, and I did not see us shining purple light on it.
The energy usage of the LED white light might lead me to a replacement down the road, and prices are dropping fast on common LED lights.

I went back and forth on salt ... and back and forth ... ugh. Ultimately it was about how much time I did not want to spend adding bleach.

I plan to run my pump at a minimal flow rate to work the filter for about 20 hrs a day. I am not sure the flow required for the pressure-side cleaner, but will increase flow for about 4 hrs during the night to support that.

I have a test kit and will soon be testing my tap water to get start-up chemicals.

Welcome to TFP!

Good choice not going with ozone. It isn't necessary or really helpful unless you have an indoor pool since the sun does all that work for you for free.

I have a couple of questions for you.

1) Solarium 125TI Heat/Cool Heat Pump ( poolheatpumps.com ) - I'm assuming you will be able to heat and cool the pool with this pump? Do you know anybody who uses this to pump today? I'd love to find a way to cool my pool in the summer.

2) Do you plan to seal your coping? What sealer will you use if you do?

I heard many stories from people this summer about their pool being too hot to use.
At a party I talked to a guy from Melisa that had been using a heat pump. He kept his pool at 85 all summer long. He tested the maximum cooling and got it down to 72. Brrrr.

It is an expensive add-on, but I thought it was worth it to add months to our swim season. I did not want to use a solar blanket due to aesthetics. Maybe after a couple of years we won't care what it looks like.

I do plan to seal, but I am not sure the best time to do it. Definitely before I add salt to the pool .... Maybe before I add the water.

I was going to try this dry treat stuff.
http://www.drytreat.com/Products/Protec ... TREAT-40SK

I may just use the DuPont sealers from lowes/depot.

Do others seal the grout on their tile? Was not sure if that was worth doing or if it would just get brushed off.

I do not plan on sealing my deck. I have spent about 100hrs on a kooldeck that was sealed and it is like walking on wet glass.

Updated pics below.
The pool is now full of water. I've been brushing twice a day and will start the TFP method on Friday!

I'll turn on the heat pump Feb 10th.

Attachments

• salt.JPG
    salt.JPG
    158.3 KB · Views: 447
  • steps.JPG
    steps.JPG
    144.4 KB · Views: 448
  • plaster.JPG
    plaster.JPG
    110.4 KB · Views: 451

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.