Pool control?

Steve737

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 25, 2011
Montgomery Texas
Well we are getting toward the end of this pool building process and need to decide on the pool controls. The pool builder said that we really need switching for 13 different things. So He is suggesting the intellitouch system with the biggest expansion kit due to this requirement. I was able to keep up with most of your advise and other post with regard to other equiptment but I'm pretty lost on this system. We have 4 pumps: 1 vs for the pool, 1 3hp for the waterfalls, 1 booster for the spa, 1 for the pool cleaner. Two blowers for the spa. Two majicstream laminars. And independent lights for the pool and spa. I'm not sure on the valves but there is a bunch. My question is how do you like to control your pool? do you like to be able to turn stuff on from work, on the way home. Do you change stuff a lot when your swimming. If I do the intellitouch with my Ipad as the only remote and my network goes down. Will my pump and other stuff still work? My pool bid has an Easytouch system on it and this upgrade will cost an additional $4100 dollars :hammer:. Does that sound right. I was on the phone at the same time the PB was on the phone with the rep and he was giving us the straight cost pricing. If you were me how would you do it? I can afford the extra expense but If I don't need to I would like to put it elsewhere. Thanks for setting me straight. Steve

The 4 pumps each require a relay each. The two blowers can be on the same relay if its OK to run them at the same time, not individually. Doing the same for the laminars is also encouraged. The Pool light(s) and spa light will each take 1.
4 pumps - 4 relays
Lams -1 relay
Blowers - 1 relay (Do not exceed 3 HP total!)
Pool Light(s) - 1 relay
Spa Light -1 relay.

Total relays needed 8

If the blowers total more than 3HP, i.e two 2HP units and or you want them to have individual control, then you have no choice but to U/G. The EZT is maxed at 8 relays. If you want additional controls for landscape lights and want it in the same system, then you are forced to U/G also. Intellitouch can accept expansion cabinets after 9 relays. The U/G cost was assuming all devices were on their own relays, thus a second cabinet would have been needed. I see no need except for the caveats I mentioned. If future needs may include landscapes, deck lights, etc... Then an I9 should be used and then when the need comes for the added relays, you can do it them.

I don't see a need for more than 2 valve actuators so that isn't a problem. EZT can handle up to 3, if needed.

Scott

Hey Scott you gave me an idea and I was able to get my aux's down to eight so that will save me an expansion kit at power source. 1 cleaner,1 extra spa pump,1 water feature pump,1 pool light, 1 spa light,2 blowers,1 laminars. I can always add the expansion kit later. What do you guys think about using the iPhone/iPad as the only source of control for the pool?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.