skimmer suction

Nov 16, 2011
Hey all, I'm new to the forum and would like to ask a question. I'm having trouble vacuuming my pool. It's and inground pool with liner. I turn the valve at the pump so it'll pull only from the skimmer. Then put the valve on waste. With the basket in the skimmer I put the top on it, then fill the vacuum hose with water and place one end in the top and the other onto the head. I start it up and it pulls for about 30sec then looses its' prime. The only way I can get any vacuum on it is to slightly open the valve up so I'm pulling from the main drain also. Actually I don't think that's really doing anything. I replaced the filter sand in it about 3yrs ago. Have also replaced the valve on top of the reservoir as it cracked on me. Probably due to old age. The vacuum hose is in good shape. Would you recommend just doing away with the basket and top and instead screw in some sort of adapter into the skimmer bottom to put the other end of the vacuum hose in? Any suggestions would be appreciated as this is becoming a real pain. Also when I replaced the sand I put pvc unions on the lines at the valve so I can break them when I again replace the sand. Could this be it? It seems though that it was doing this before although I can't really remember.

I did think about that. The head broke on it and I had to get another one. That may be where my perceived trouble started. Got em mixed up. I'm going to try the hose first and if that fixes it then call me a dumb ole country boy!

This is for PoolGuyNJ. You're right. I might be getting a little senile. I just finished with the pool today and it worked good, but not great. It still doesn't suck like it used to, but I'm one happy guy to get done with it. It'll still pick up leaves and dirt and that's all that matters. If you're ever in my neck of the woods I'll feed you a steak and get you drunk. I owe ya! Thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.