Intelliflo worth $500 more?

Jun 7, 2011
I have a 23,000 gallon pool with a 10 plus year old PACFAB Challenger 2.0 HP pump. I need to replace it. I was looking at a 1.5 HP WhisperPro. When I asked their service department, a local pool company said that pump cost $599.99 plus $200.00 for installation and setup up. Then I had the same company come out and get the specs for my pool. They recommended the intelliflo. They said that pump and installation would cost $1499, $1299 for the pump. I then told them that I like to buy local whenever I could, but I just received a coupon for 20% anything at Leslie's. I asked if they could match that. They said yes. Question is, is a Intelliflo worth $500? I pay $.10 Kwh, but has been rising recently. The tech said that the Intelliflo motor is more reliable than the WhisperPro, is this true. Anyways, I just moved into the house and plan to be their for many years. Given those details would the Intelliflo ever make sense?

I personally like the Intelliflo but a 2 speed pump could work out as well or better financially. Do you like electronic interfaces? The Intelliflo requires a bit more interaction than a standard on/off motor. If there are any water features on the pool the Intelliflo can be handy for adjusting the flow to them. The #1 thing customers I know who have owned both appreciate about the Intelliflo is how quiet it is at low speeds. The motor might be more reliable but there are onboard electronics that can fail and cost a lot more to replace than a plain 2 speed motor.

See if they can show you one working in person. Your reaction will probably be either "that's pretty neat" or "I don't want to deal with all that."

spishex said:
The #1 thing customers I know who have owned both appreciate about the Intelliflo is how quiet it is at low speeds. "

And that might be the deciding factor. I would like to build a patio about 5 feet away from the pump. It would be nice not to have to yell at one another.

So far IntelliFlo pumps have had a slightly higher failure rate than WhisperFlo pumps. There aren't all that many problems with either pump. The IntelliFlo failures are mostly with the electronics, not the motor, but a failure is a failure regardless of which part of the pump fails.

At $0.10/kwh you are unlikely to ever get a variable speed pump to pay back the initial investment.

Money-wise, at $0.10 Kwh. It's not likely worth it.

If you have a need/use for the variable speed feature, it may be worthwhile then. For example, if you wanted to fine tune speeds for filtering, solar running, operating water features (spa, waterfall etc...) or an automatic cleaner. But you'd getting it for features rather than saving money at that point.

One last thing, check with your electric company, some offer incentives for using variable speed pumps which can greatly offset the price. When I lived in CA, I remember PG&E offered one, I just don't remember how much.

In CA, the cost of a Intelliflow, with the rebate of $200, will end up costing the same as the Whisperflo, hight efficient model. I chose the Whisperflow for 2 reasons. The built in timer of the Intelliflo doesn't work with my application and I want to keep things as simple as possible, not having to deal with electronics stuff, especially when it's outdoor ( My background is Electrical and I can work with circuits but just don't want to spen the time). It's rediculous that the computer part replacement will cost the same if not more than the whole unit. Something is not right with that concept. With low speed, my Whisperflo is quiet and works well with my SWG, auto cleaner and the heater (with the cleaner disconnected). My October bill is $50 less than last year's and the lowest electric used of all previous Octs.

I recently installed an Intelliflo 011018, and found it priced as low as $858 on the internet, with a local pickup here in Orange County (and one in the San Gabriel Valley as well). The place I bought it also offers to install the pump for $350, but I decided to do it myself, and learned a bit about plumbing!

There are lots of features of this pump that are nice, beyond just the electric savings. Most importantly, its ability to prime is beyond what the WhisperFlo will do. We had a WhisperFlo 2.0 HP pump and that sometimes would lose prime since our Zodiac MX8 cleaner sometimes surfaces to clean tiles (good), but this ends up getting air into the system (not so good). The IntelliFlo can sense this and activate a priming mode. Now our pump never loses prime and works great. Of course, the pump itself holds memory for 8 different events/speeds per day (way beyond what we need). An automation system is not required. It also has a button that puts it in "quick clean" mode, which activates a programmable speed for cleaning with a vacuum attachment. This is great, because then the pool guy (if/when I hire one) can push this one button to activate the pump for cleaning. Overall, its a very nice pump. Also, I find it is quieter than the WhisperFlo, esp. when it runs at less than full speed. Here in SoCalEdison territory (and rates as high as $0.35/kWh), it makes total sense. For areas with cheaper electrical rates, it might not. But again, some of the features of the pump are worth considering.

just bought the Pentair Intelliflo (model 011018)(replaces the VS old model) for a house in Florida which replaced a 10 year old Pentair 1.5 hp pump. Here are some real world savings. Saving $45.00 per month in electric bills

The electric meters down there allow you to monitor kwh usage daily over a 30 day period via the internet. With nothing else running other than the pool pump, my daily kwh usage was 17.0kwh per day and it dropped to 2.5kwh per day when the new variable speed Intellifo (011018) was installed. I have been monitoring the usage now for over 3 weeks. Both the old pump and the new pump runtime was the same at 8hrs, Recognize that the new pump is running at a lower speed and flow but the pool is clearer than before (I also installed a new Pentair cartridge filter). This decrease of 15kwh per day equates to a $1.5 per day or $45.00 per month savings and that will be 12months per year in Florida. I have not yet experimented to see if I can run less time or lower speeds since the pool is 10K gallons. The pool store recommended 1200rpm for 4 hrs and 1800 for 4 hrs per day, so I stuck with it for now.

The over $500 per year in savings is excellent and easily pays for the increased cost of the pump with a payback of approx 1 year. And this is for a small pool! Very happy with the purchase.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am jsut currious, what is the "ability to prime" of the Intelliflo? I read that too when I was shopping but never understood what it meant. Does it automatically go high speed when the prime is lost? The Whishperflo can prime itself even at low speed (even without adding water to the basket) so if it ever loses the prime I think it can reprime by itself. Unless something is blocking the flow then I doudt high speed would help. Beside that I can't picture how a pump can prime another way.
thanks

Hi CraigMW,

I just bought and installed the exact same model of pump myself. However it cannot prime the water. Have you experienced similar problem? Is there any set up issue I missed?

Thanks,

--Yang

I recently installed an Intelliflo 011018, and found it priced as low as $858 on the internet, with a local pickup here in Orange County (and one in the San Gabriel Valley as well). The place I bought it also offers to install the pump for $350, but I decided to do it myself, and learned a bit about plumbing!

There are lots of features of this pump that are nice, beyond just the electric savings. Most importantly, its ability to prime is beyond what the WhisperFlo will do. We had a WhisperFlo 2.0 HP pump and that sometimes would lose prime since our Zodiac MX8 cleaner sometimes surfaces to clean tiles (good), but this ends up getting air into the system (not so good). The IntelliFlo can sense this and activate a priming mode. Now our pump never loses prime and works great. Of course, the pump itself holds memory for 8 different events/speeds per day (way beyond what we need). An automation system is not required. It also has a button that puts it in "quick clean" mode, which activates a programmable speed for cleaning with a vacuum attachment. This is great, because then the pool guy (if/when I hire one) can push this one button to activate the pump for cleaning. Overall, its a very nice pump. Also, I find it is quieter than the WhisperFlo, esp. when it runs at less than full speed. Here in SoCalEdison territory (and rates as high as $0.35/kWh), it makes total sense. For areas with cheaper electrical rates, it might not. But again, some of the features of the pump are worth considering.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.