Step Markers - Required in Florida?

For Public pools, yes, steps are required to be marked.
The front 3/4 to 2 inches (19.1 to 51 mm) of the tread and the top 2 inches (51 mm) of the riser shall be tile, dark in color, contrasting with the interior of the pool.
For Residential, there is no requirement that steps be marked.

Residential pools are required to conform to ANSI/NSPI-5 (Standard for Residential Swimming Pools), which specifies that if underwater seats, benches and swimouts are used in the deep end of a pool designed for use with diving equipment they must be "visually set apart" and located outside of the required minimum diving water envelope.

The term "visually set apart" is somewhat ambiguous. However, I think that markings would be necessary for compliance.

My pool builder agrees that it is not in the ANSI book. However, he referenced the Florida Building Code (Section 424.1.2.5.3) regarding "Swimming Pools & Bathing Places (Public & Private)" which seems to be pretty specific. Is there anything to reference that would trump that requirement in the FBC? I really don't want markers, but I'm not seeing a way around it if it is code as it appears to be.

For reference, here is what the Florida Building Code says in Section 424.1.2.5.3:

424.1.2.5.3 Stairs.

Stairs shall have a minimum tread width of 10 inches (254 mm) for a minimum tread length of 24 inches (610 mm) and a maximum riser height of 10 inches (254 mm) . Treads and risers between the top and bottom treads shall be uniform in width and height. The front ¾ to 2 inches (19.1 to 51 mm) of the tread and the top 2 inches (51mm) of the riser shall be tile, dark in color, contrasting with the interior of the pool. Tile shall be slip resistant, except when ¾ inch by 2-inch (51 mm) bull-nose tile is used and the ¾ inch (19 mm) segment is placed on the tread and the 2-inch (51 mm) segment is on the riser. All markings shall be tile, except that pools constructed of fiberglass, thermoplastic or stainless steel may substitute other type markings when it can be shown that said markings are permanent and will not fade over time. This exception does not extend to concrete pools that are coated with fiberglass.

SECTION 424 SWIMMING POOLS AND BATHING PLACES (PUBLIC AND PRIVATE)

424.1 Public swimming pools and bathing places. Public swimming pools and bathing places shall comply with the design and construction standards of this section. (Goes to 424.1.9.8.6.4)

424.2 Private swimming pools. (Goes to 424.2.23)

424.1 covers public pools and 424.2 covers private pools. The above referenced section refers only to public pools. You can check with the local inspector to be sure.

http://www2.iccsafe.org/states/Florida2 ... r%2012.pdf

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.