Leak in a stainless steel DE filter

Oct 25, 2010
Temecula, CA
It turns out i have a leak on the bottom of my stainless steel filter, just outside where it sits on the stand but before it turns upward if that makes any sense. It's small but it is leaking. I understand that the filter is under pressure so I'm wondering if it would be unsafe to have a welder seal the area and then continue using the filter.

If it absolutely must be replaced, what are the recommendations for a pool my size. I think all the information is in my signature. Of course I'll do some research but narrowing it down would be helpful. :)

Thanks
Anne

How much do you think it would cost to have someone weld it? Regardless if it got a hole through
impact or abrasion maybe weld it if it's cheap. If it got thin in that area through corrosion scrap it
Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Steel filters tend to develop pinhole leaks because of corrosion, and that corrosion is usually quite extensive before leaks actually appear. Which is a long way of saying that the chances are good that it is in such bad shape that there is no point in trying to patch it.

One last question, I have a 48 sq ft Pentair SMBW 4000 Series filter... has backwash valve etc. My pool stats are 16X32 (approx) 20k gal, DE filter, IG, plaster/pebble with diving board & slide...

Would a 36 sqft filter (Pentair Series 4000) do the trick for my size pool? Is there a chart on the site that might explain what size filter I would need for my pool?

I have a Whisperflo WFE-6 1.5 hp pump but I will have to ask DH or look at past posts about piping size, it's either 1 1/2 or 2 inches, I can't remember. Probably makes all the difference anyhow. lol

Thanks, I'll keep looking. :)

With a 1.5 HP pump a 36 sqft filter is marginal at best. I would recommend getting a larger filter than the one you have now, not a smaller one. Larger filters have fewer problems, go longer between backwashing/cleaning, and improve the overall system efficiency.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.