Question about Solar covers

PDS

Aug 28, 2007
Northern Kentucky
I'm about to buy my first solar cover and they offer everything from 8 mil. to 16 mil. thickness and from clear to black colored covers. If anyone could recommend a good choice of cover I would really appreciate it. I have a 27 ft. round AG pool.

Thanks in advance

get a 12 mil blue/ silver. the thinner ones will only last a season, the thicker ones don't last that much longer than the 12 mill to justify the extra price. Blue/silver is usually the least expensive and works as well as any color. To use a solar cover correctly you cover the pool at night to stop evaporation, which is how and when the most heat is lost, and then uncover it during the day so the sun can warm the water. some covers claim that they will collect heat and transer it to the water but it really dosn't work that way.
Also, you don't want to leave the cover on continueously or you will get a buildup of chloramines (combined chlorine) in the water. If you want your cover to last as long as possible do not leave it in the sun when it is off the pool. Either keep it in the shade or cover it with an old WHITE sheet or WHITE plastic, such as kitchen garbage bags!

all your parts said:
what do you think of the liqud solar blankets?
they seem easy to use
IF there is NO WATER MOVEMENT and the surface is not disturbed at all by winds and all circulation pumps are off then, in a best case they can prevent a few degrees heat loss overnight, primarily by preventing evaporation. They are nowhere near as effective as a solar blanket and most people that use the Heatsavr liquid (this is what the liquid solar blanket is) don't really see any appreciable heat savings and retention. In some applications they are better than nothing at all and in commercial applications they might be useful since their addition can be automated with a peristaltic pump. They do need to be applied daily (or actually, nightly!) The retail solar fish and pills constantly dispense a small amount of the Heatsavr liquid to automate the daily addition. Most people that have tried them, myself included, have not seen any advantage to their use.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.