FILTERS BLEW UP.....HELP PLEASE

Jul 29, 2010
Hi All, I am new to this forum and pool maintenance, This spring I replaced my filter canister. I replaced it with the same Hayward model Hayward SwimClear Large Capacity Cartridge Filter, 425 Sq. Ft. that I took out. I noticed that I was getting more and more sand in the bottom of the pool than usual as the season went on but I did not think to much of it because we have a desert scape back yard. Anyway I pulled the unit apart this weekend to clean the filters and all 4 of them were blown up. the plastic top and bottom rings were split apart and the filter bands were broke so the filters were ballooned up. The only difference between this filter set up and the way it was before was the pipe running from the pump to the filter used to be a 2" pipe, When I put the new filter in I used 2-1/2" so I could reuse the same fittings. I have solar heat on the roof of the house. Does anybody have any ides what would cause this? Any help you guys can give me would be great. Thanks

Melt In The Sun said:
sandman, welcome to TFP!

Sorry to say, but it sounds like it was plumbed backwards. That's the only way to get inflated cartridges :(

Its plumbed the exact same way it was, The ONLY difference is that I upped the size of the line from the pump to the filter from 2" to 2-1/2", I will pull the top off the old canister tonight and look inside, The new one the I know the feed line comes in from the pump and to the manifold at the top of the filters. I did not look inside the old one but I would think they are the same, My old one was just getting beat up so I replaced it the same make & model, The only difference in the two was the fittings were a little different. I slid the old one out and the new in, No re-routing of the plumbing to say,

When I switch the solar on the pressure raises about 15 pounds I think, I will double check that, I know it goes up past the preset red arrow, My old filter ran about the same pressure but it did not have the double indicator the new one has.

sandman0_0 said:
[quote="Melt In The Sun":3r742hhc]sandman, welcome to TFP!

Sorry to say, but it sounds like it was plumbed backwards. That's the only way to get inflated cartridges :(

Its plumbed the exact same way it was, The ONLY difference is that I upped the size of the line from the pump to the filter from 2" to 2-1/2", I will pull the top off the old canister tonight and look inside, The new one the I know the feed line comes in from the pump and to the manifold at the top of the filters. I did not look inside the old one but I would think they are the same, My old one was just getting beat up so I replaced it the same make & model, The only difference in the two was the fittings were a little different. I slid the old one out and the new in, No re-routing of the plumbing to say,[/quote:3r742hhc]

The more I think about it, It sounds backwards, The water flow should be from the outside the filter in correct?

Correct, the flow goes from outside the filter cartridge to the inside. It does sound like it is backward. The filter should be marked at the inlet and outlet. I think that that filter says "From Pump" for the inlet. It is molded into the plastic and hard to see.

JamesW said:
Correct, the flow goes from outside the filter cartridge to the inside. It does sound like it is backward. The filter should be marked at the inlet and outlet. I think that that filter says "From Pump" for the inlet. It is molded into the plastic and hard to see.

Thanks, I will look tonight, I am sure that it what it is, I wonder why Hayward changed them around, When I bought the new canister they said the only difference was that Hayward changed to a different type of fittings. I never gave it a thought to look, It was pretty much plug and play with the exception of changing to the new style fittings.

JamesW said:
It does look like Hayward has changed the way that those filters are plumbed. Depending on the model, the fittings are reversed.

Yep, You called it, I did what I should have done right away, I pulled the top on the old filter and the new one. They are plumbed opposite inside, They are both Hayward and use the same filters, the old one is a 4020 and the new one is a 4030. Both look identical and are the same size and shape, When I bought it they told me the only difference was the fittings. And I never opened it up to look inside. My bad, I know better too. Thanks guys

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.