Skimmer efficiency and return flow orientation

CraigMW

LifeTime Supporter
May 19, 2011
Orange County, CA
As our pool often gets leaves blown into it from the yard of a self-described "tree hugger" next door, we need to have efficient skimming to keep our pool from turning into a large cup of tea. Our MX8 does a reasonable job, but things can get out of hand. I have noticed two issues that seem to really affect skimming efficiency. The first is the level of water in the pool. Our skimmer doesn't seem to function well when the water is over 1/2 the height of the skimmer inlet. To address this, I turned off the autoleveler and backwashed a large volume of water. This helps the skimmer create rapid surface flow and it's definitely working better.

The second issue is more difficult to remedy. The pool returns are built into the sides of our gunite pool, but they lack adjustable eyeball ports. So, the water is directed straight out into the pool. This unfortunately does not lead to any purposeful movement of debris toward the single skimmer. The returns appear to simply be 1" PVC pipes that end about 1/4" inside the plaster surface. Is there a way to control the return flow to affect a clockwise flow toward the skimmer? Obviously, eyeball returns would be best, but I'm not sure how I would plumb them.

It sounds like you are either missing the skimmer weir, or your existing weirs are not working correctly. The weir is a swinging panel that has a float on one end that closes off most of the skimmer opening except for a shallow layer right near the surface. That helps keep the water flow into the skimmers working well regardless of the water level.

Slip fit return fittings, held in by friction, are fairly common. They normally fit into 1 1/2" PVC pipe. Hopefully your pipes are actually 1 1/2". If so, it will be easy to find something that works.

The skimmer weir is there. It was missing a piece of styrofoam backing a few months ago, and I replaced that with some stryofoam I cut carefully to fit in there. However, it could probably work a bit better by having greater buoyancy. I do agree that's part of the problem. But, the surface area is rather large, so getting some clockwise surface flow would help. I'll look into the slip fittings as that may be the way to go. Also, our autocleaner hose tends to block/attract leaves on the surface. I wonder if I bought some hose weights to submerge the hose if that might help getting the leaves to circulate toward the skimmer better as well.

Cheers...

Craig

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.