What's a Fair Price to Clean DE Filter

Mar 2, 2008
Hi everyone,

Next week I start shopping for a service to clean my DE filter (Pentair Nautilus FNS48). What would be a reasonable price for someone to come out, disassemble, clean the grids, and reassemble? What if it needs a "chemical treatment" :shock: ? How much do those cost? I just want to have my ducks in a row so that I can make the process go a little faster. I live in Pearland (Houston), TX if that matters.

Thanks,
Cindi

Are you sure you don't want to do this yourself and save some money?
It's as easy as:
1) Turn the pump off.
2) Remove the band clamp around the filter.
3) Open the air relief valve to release the suction, then lift the lid off. This may take some elbow grease. Let me know if you get stuck at this point.
*The DE elements should be held together on the top by a wing nut and a top manifold, and on the bottom by a retainer grid. There should also be a bottom drain plug on the opposite side of where the PVC is plumbed to the filter.
5) Remove the bottom drain plug and allow the water to drain out.
6) Spray the DE elements with a garden hose, using a high pressure nozzle.
7) Remove the whole manifold and grid assembly from the filter. It should be connected to a tube (called a stand pipe) on the same side that the PVC is plumbed to the filter. This is just a compression fit with an o-ring. Make sure you don't lose this o-ring.
8) From here, you should look at how it is put together, as you will need to reassembly the same way. Use a marker if necessary, or take a digital photo.
* The tricky part is to reassemble the grids onto the bottom wheel so it all falls back in place securely. You can even mark on the DE grid too.
9) Remove the nuts and washers that are holding the assembly together and put in a zip lock bag so you don't lose any of the nuts, washers, and bolts.
10) Remove each DE Grid, finish cleaning it thoroughly and inspect for any rips, tears, or damage. Check the frame for any breakage. Replace any damaged pieces. Even the smallest tear will allow the miniscule sized DE to blow through the DE Element.
11) Reassemble the whole manifold assembly.
12) Reattach to the stand pipe.
13) Lubricate the body o-ring. Replace with a new o-ring if it is out of shape or leaks. It should be a squared o-ring (is that an oxymoron?).
14) Replace the top filter half.
15) Close the Air Relief Valve.
16) Replace the Band Clamp assembly and tighten.
17) Turn the pump back on and check for leaks.

http://www.poolcenter.com/parts_filter_ ... ymeric.htm shows the parts breakdown.

It really shouldn't take you more than an hour to do a complete job. Just be careful and don't overtighten any nuts or bolts. Just tighten so that it's snug. Don't force anything. It should all come apart fairly easily, unless it hasn't been done it a while.

Hope this helps.

Forgot to mention, it shouldn't need any chemical treatments. The DE is added through the skimmer and coats the DE elements. Any oils should adhere to the DE and should wash off when you spray the elements.

Afterwards, add the appropriate amount of DE for your filter. Read your owners manual for this amount.

Here's a link I found that gives a good description of cleaning a DE Filter. It should open to page 178, DE Filters.

http://books.google.com/books?id=fb04YP ... #PPA183,M1

nothing wrong with getting someone to do it for you one time while they are doing it just watch and you will learn the system for doing it.
i would sy it should run you about $120 for that service
thanks

Thanks "Poolsean" and "all your parts",

I think what has been scaring me is the part about the filter blowing up "causing severe bodily injury and/or major property damage" :shock:

The reason I mentioned the chemical treatment is because my neighbor told me that because not much is coming out of the filter on a backwash, the grids are probably loaded with crud that will have to be chemically removed (I haven't been exactly on top of my backwashing).

Thanks,
Cindi

P.S. I couldn't get the book link to work. Maybe if you posted the name of the book I could search for it myself.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.