water flow meter installation

TheOne

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 28, 2007
Houston, TX
I recently installed a water flow meter so I could monitor my GPM flow rates. I have a variable speed pump and I was curious as to how low I could run the pump and still get an adequate turn rate. After searching for flow meters I found all different types. Many were hundreds of dollars and meant for commercial applications. I ended up finding a good compromise with an acrylic clamp on style flow meter. The manufacturer is Blue-White and it cost around $100 shipped.

Here are some pix of the installation:

The instructions said for 2" pipe to mount the flow meter 20" from any bends in the pipe before the flow meter, 8" away from any bends after the flow meter. It worked out that I had a section of return pipe that worked out great.

051207009a.jpg

It needed a 5/8" hole in the pvc to insert the meter into the water flow.

051207014a.jpg

You use simple clamps to secure the flow meter to the pipe.

051207017a.jpg

I then tested running my pump at various speeds until I had it running as slow as possible and still giving me the turn rate I wanted. Let me know if anyone wants any more info about it...

Very Cool

Wow...great idea, might have to look into that here, am trying to run my pump around 8 hours a day during main sunlight times. Where did you get it?

I am also curious, as to why PB's do not mention all these lil small things when one is doing their planning, if not for great sites like this, people would believe that they have it all.

Thanks,

Rik

Re: Very Cool

pooladdict said:
Wow...great idea, might have to look into that here, am trying to run my pump around 8 hours a day during main sunlight times. Where did you get it?

I am also curious, as to why PB's do not mention all these lil small things when one is doing their planning, if not for great sites like this, people would believe that they have it all.

Thanks,

Rik

I ordered it over the phone from Ryan Herco Fluid Flow Solutions. They are a reseller as Blue-White doesnt sell whole parts direct. There was a Ryan Herco location here in Houston but the product drop shipped from Blue-White in California.

I also cant understand why PB's dont install flow meters as part of the "package". I mean whats another $100 on a $20k - $50k pool project? They are more common in commercial installations apparently where inspectors check flow rates through the equipment. But even if you have a single speed pump you have to guess how long to keep it running for your turn rates without a flow meter.

The more expensive Intelliflo pump model has a flow meter built into the pump. It was going to cost me about $400 more than the Intelliflo 4x160. Also I believe with the Intelliflo you have to use the Pentair Intellitouch instead of the cheaper Easytouch system. So far Im happy with using the 4x160 adjustable pump with a flow meter.

Here is the data sheet of the flow meter I used along with part numbers depending on your application. I ended up using the U-30200PR.
Flow Meter Data Sheet

JimW said:
Do you think the before and after space requirements make a big difference? I have a pipe section that might work but I believe I would be maybe 10" short.

Probably not that much difference. I think as long as its not right after a 90 turn you would be fine. The distance from a turn in the pipe has more of an impact before the meter than after if that helps.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.