Salt level is rising - help

Nov 1, 2011
Houston, TX
We installed a new Cell approx 2 weeks ago. The pump was broke so it wasn't operating most of the 2 week period. We got the pump working a few days ago.

The salt level said 2600 when the cell was broke. The salt level said 4500 when we got the pump working. The salt level went down to 4300 for a short time. Now the salt level says 4700...

The chlorinator was set at 75% for most of the last 4 years. We turned the chlorinator down to 30% when we got the new cell... what does that do? Do I need to increase the level? Do I need to take any action? Or will nature take it's course?

Thanx again!
Ross

The salt reading will vary by a couple hundred up or down over time. That is completely normal (and doubly true during the first 24 hours after a new install or a cell replacement). The salt meter in the unit is not precise enough to pin it down more exactly that and it's measurements can also be affected by other factors, like water temperature. I wouldn't worry about what the salt level actually is unless you are getting salt too high or salt too low errors.

The percentage setting on the SWG controls how much chlorine it produces. That has nothing really to do with the salt level. The salt level can vary to a fair extent without affecting how much chlorine the unit produces. Many people mistakenly think that the salt reading is an indication of how much chlorine you have in the water, but they are actually unrelated. You need to do a chlorine test to find out how much chlorine is actually in the water, and use that to figure out if you need to adjust the percentage setting.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.