Pool Paint Dilemma

riverheightsnancy

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 19, 2007
Flemington, NJ
My husband and I are going round and round over the choice of color for the resurface of our old concrete pool. I am really wanting Olympic brand's White, he thinks that it should be the Blue Mist. Since Olympic does not include any photos of their paints with water in the pools, has anyone resurfaced their pool with/without a color and has before/ after photos? I really want to avoid a "greenish" cast to the water. Our pool is practically white at this point anyway due to the fading of the paint, and I think that it looks very good that way, however, he insists that a light blue is what is needed and customary.

Any comments, photos, suggestions, product thoughts, would really be appreciated.

We are looking at products by Olympic and Ramuc because we get a discount from a major pool supply place here in NJ, because he is a contractor by trade. Thanks.

Replying to my own post

Ok, no responses. Is no one painting their pools nowdays? Am I in the stone age? Will the Flinstones be coming over for a Bar-B-Q? My old pool is originally painted, and while I would love to do a complete upgrade with plaster, lights, slate, yada, yada, yada, the economy for me makes it such that, that is not going to happen this year or next. Does anyone have any thoughts on this topic? please... help...me...I need to make a case to the hubs that the pool should be painted white, NOT blue! I need expert opinions here! :wink: :wink:

Thanks

Thanks for the reply JasonLion. Do you think that it is worth it if you only plan on the paint lasting for a few years? We really would love to do an entire restoration, however, the things we really want to do will cost @$25,000 or more, and it is just not feasible now. Our thought was paint it and then do a re-do in a few years. That way the pool would look a little fresher and make the maintenance a little easier. When you said that the mess it makes when the paint fails, what did you mean by that? The paint is already failing, (chipping) all over this pool anyway. The prior owners painted it at least 5 years ago. We were planning on sandblasting off the surface, doing a little repair work for cracks and then paint. If you really think that plaster over the bare concrete is better, please explain why and cost, if you have any idea on that.

Thanks a lot.

Plastering might be around $5,000 for a large pool for plain plaster, more or less depending on who you have do it and how busy things are in your area. Plaster will last 10 to 20 years depending on how well you take care of it. Prices go up if you want colors or quartz or pebble.

For "mess" I was thinking paint chips. They can get into the plumbing and cause problems, can jam up pool cleaners, etc.

I can only offer what our Pool Techs told us in Feb 07. And, you know, different locations, pool size, etc...

We bought our house in 2/06 and the pool had been painted and looked awful especially on the deep end wall. When we called for an estimate to "repaint" ('cause we thought that was what we wanted to do) he gave the following price quotes:

1. Repaint, $2,592
2. Replaster, $3,332

He also said that if we had it repainted we would probably want it redone in about two years :shock:

We went with the plaster. White plaster and our water looks blue :)

Also, I have read some posts about folks repainting their own pools. If not on TFP, perhaps the threads were on PoolForum.com. The paint is not cheap, but perhaps a 'pool painting party' with lots of help (and complete instructions for prep) could go a long way to keep you swimming until the redo.....just an idea.

Hope this helps.

Joyce

not to get into the paint v. plaster thing, but a white pool will appear a light blue when filled. See Joyce's avatar, above.

Blue paint will look darker blue. Gray paint will look grayish-blue. Pretty much the only way to get green water is to paint the pool green, or let the algae grow! :shock:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.