Concrete Pool Slide

May 19, 2009
San Diego, CA
I have a concrete pool slide that was originally epoxy coated. When I bought the home the epoxy was flaking off and needed to be replaced as our worn out and holy swimwear quickly indicated.

I used a thin film epoxy from Top Secret that was supposed to last 10 years, followed all of the directions to the letter, and now one and a half season later I am back to the same situation I started at.

I was thinking to try a hi-build epoxy such as Ramuc provides this time. However before I sink another couple of hundred into paint products I thought I might ask the forum if others with more experience or a better experience than mine has any advice. I understand that most epoxy pool coatings are made for underwater, and this above water application may be a tough one to solve with all the exposure to the UV rays of the sun.

Thanks in advance to any help.

Attachments

• IMG_3384 (Large).JPG
    IMG_3384 (Large).JPG
    199.7 KB · Views: 778
  • IMG_3423 (Large).JPG
    IMG_3423 (Large).JPG
    242 KB · Views: 709
"An acrylic coating (not paint) might be best. You might want to contact a slide manufacturer to inquire about the best method for refinishing the slide. "

James,
You are the second person I've run across to to suggest acrylic. I was told by a coatings company to use acrylic to get my desired custom color look, such as the faux granite, then use their clear "Aquaply M" uv protected slick finish epoxy as a top coat to protect the acrylic. This may be the route I will end up taking, at this point.

My slide is a concrete cast in place design so the finishes used on the pre-made type you linked my not be appropriate, but it can't hurt to give them a call to chat about it anyway. Thanks for the leads!

Kirby

James,
I understand where you are coming from now! I didn't get the "acrylic, (not paint)" somehow before. An acrylic finish might be nice and prietty, but I have an acrylic bathtub. The stuff is fairly soft and you have to baby it. From the parties I've had here, both kids and adults don't baby the slide. Everything goes down the slide at some point. I would need a very hard finish as a top coat, and the desire for a faux granite finish requires something like an acrylic paint to achieve unless I want to dump a lot of cost at doing all epoxy like I just did, (which failed).

PoolGuyNJ said:
I prefer Olympic's Zeron epoxy paint.

See the following: http://www.kelleytech.com/olympic/olymp ... ctline.asp

Scott

I agree with scott, the paint he suggested is the brand I use to cover fiberglass repairs of walk-in steps. The only thing more durable would be some kind of bed liner paint, but that would have a rough finish although rhino does have many more products these days, for example this floor covering might work http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9xCa08HC-M. If you are worried that UV damage is what is causing the paint to fail then I would periodically coat the slide with 303 aerospace protectant

Yeah I would put garage floor two part paint and try that. I did my shop floor with that in a double coat and then a clear coat on top, and it's slicker than snot when wet, and I drop tools all the time on it and its never chipped. Even the part by the roll up door which is in sun half the day looks as good as new.

I have a plaster covered concrete slide. After a modest rash on the first run down the slide I found a solution. I use bar counter epoxy. I would say it's pretty durable since a single coat lasts through the whole season. I just top it with a thin coat at the beginning of each season using a plastic cup for mixing and a disposable mini paint roller for application. I bought a 2 gallon kit 6 years ago and have not even gone through half yet.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Here's one brand of bar top epoxy: http://steebar.com/Supplies/Epoxy.html. I use another brand from a local commercial supplier.

As I mentioned, this does not flake or chip as it wears. It stays smooth through my whole summer season. It just tends to get a little rough after winter but is still usable. It is easy to maintain as you just topcoat it every year and end up with a glass-smooth surface for another year with little effort. After my (successful) experience with this I would not use a paint.

The problem with most expoxy is it is not uv resistant. The restoleum garage floor 2 part epoxy specifically says don't expose to UV light (just did a 3 stall garage). You may want to try a marine store that carries products made for outdoor use.

Here's one brand of bar top epoxy: http://steebar.com/Supplies/Epoxy.html. I use another brand from a local commercial supplier.

As I mentioned, this does not flake or chip as it wears. It stays smooth through my whole summer season. It just tends to get a little rough after winter but is still usable. It is easy to maintain as you just topcoat it every year and end up with a glass-smooth surface for another year with little effort. After my (successful) experience with this I would not use a paint.

I was wondering what kind of prep work you had to do before you applied the bar top epoxy.

All,

I've owned a ranch in SSE Texas for just over 25 yrs. Let me tell you something, if your sun / UV is anything like mine, there's nothing that is UV resistant w out A LOT of maintenance.

Next, if you add another element of rain/water, that's another variable, plus if the water is salt-based or CL based and X PPM acidic, etc, you've added other variables. Epoxies and garage based coatings that are not intended for water/chemical exposure, UV exposure, etc is a formula for frustrations and more maintenance. When you have a pool, and the more features, your primary name is "Sir Maintenance". Any project I ever do [fencing, roofing, ponds, exterior lighting, exterior masonry, exterior siding, paints, ANYTHING], I always calculate what route to go w the best value by the least maintenance requirements. That at least is my philosophy.

Now for the concrete pool slide, I would talk to who makes them and what are all of the options they present, costs and annual maintenance costs. If you like to experiment, use a non-UV paint for outside that is intended for no water or only tap water, not CL, Salt and Acid based waters. I get it seeking advice from forum users, but just make sure you're comparing like products and like applications for your exact application. Good luck.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.