Small water leak at pump strainer housing

Kevink

Bronze Supporter
Jun 30, 2011
Austin, TX
I developed a small water leak at the threaded pipe on my strainer housing (area around the Teflon tape is starting to turn brown):

piping2.jpg

Here's a wider angle view:

piping.jpg

I'm sure this is a relatively easy fix, but I've never done it before (pretty good DIY'er though). What's the easiest way to take out the pipe from the strainer housing? Do I have to cut a section of the pvc pipe and then re-attach and re-glue or is there an easier way?

Thanks! The union on the horizontal pipe was the answer. That was easy!

Unfortunately, it took me 3 tries with tape (already had some ) before I managed to do it right and contain the leak. Then, just when I thought it was fixed, a few hours later it started leaking again (albeit a very, very small amount, not even enough to run down the side of the housing). I just left it. And today, after several hours of running, it isn't leaking at all. ???

If it continues to leak, should it be fixed, or is it okay to live with a very minor one?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.