Solar Blankets? Any recommendations on brand/material/mil?

SLand

LifeTime Supporter
Nov 9, 2011
Bellaire, TX
I'm looking for a solar blanket to help keep my lap pool warm and keep the heating costs down. Any recommendations on brands, material or the mil thickness? I will be swimming almost daily, so I want something that will be easy to remove and replace by myself. (pool size: 6' X 75')

Re: Solar Blankets? Any recommendations on brand/material/m

Welcome to TFP! Someone with some solar blanket experience should be along shortly.

I've had the best luck with 12 mil blankets made by Midwest Canvas. I believe In the Swim and Poolcenter.com both handle them. I ordered my last one via Amazon from In the Swim and got it delivered the next day in an area rural enough that Fed Ex and UPS won't accept next-day shipments.

I like the 12 mil clear with bubbles. The clear diamond ones trap to much water when wound on a reel and will void the warranty on most reels.

Yes indeed, the 6' X 75' size will either require a custom order, or some cutting. If I cut it, is there a good way to "attach" the pieces together so that it could be removed with a reel?

I actually need 3 blankets. One 15' X 35' for the "cocktail" pool, a 7' X 7' for the attached spa, and the 6' x 75' for the lap pool. So I was thinking I might just get 2 of the 15' X 35' (if they come in that size) and cut one for the lap pool and use the excess for the spa and other odd shapes like the stair entries. Having the spa blanket in pieces wouldn't be a problem.

Since the lap pool cover will be removed daily, if not twice a day, is it best to have a reel for that size blanket (6x75)? The "cocktail" pool blanket would only be removed occasionally, so I was hoping I wouldn't need a reel for that one, but this is my first pool, so if you veterans tell me otherwise, I'll heed your advice.

Thanks for the help thus far.

From what I have seen there are sizes up to 30 x 60 readily available. But 75 ft would be hard to find. You can chose your sizes and figure how to cut the covers you need. But attaching pieces together never seems to work out well.

I would suggest buying a rectangular blanket, say 16 x 40 and cutting two strips 6 x 40. Then use two reels, one at each end of the pool. That would make covering and uncovering the pool quick and easy. The covers are cheap enough. It's good reels that might be a bit of an investment.

I bought my last cover from solarcovers.com. They seem to have a good selection decent prices and free shipping.

There really isn't any good way to attach two pieces of cover. A custom one may work well, since the material seems to come in ~6' widths and they just weld the edges together to make larger widths.

Thanks for the suggestions. So 12 mil clear bubbles (not diamonds). I was contemplating getting 8mil, so it would be lighter and easier to handle, but it sounds like they don't hold up very well, nor do they provide the same level of warming or heat retention. Would that be an accurate assesment?

Does anyone think I need a reel to remove the 15' X 35' solar blanket if it would only be removed occasionally.

I don't think there is a huge difference in heat retention between the different thickness. I have a 16 mil on my pool, but thats because I just try to buy the one with the longest replacement warranty. The sun will destroy any cover here in a couple years, and I can usually get a couple replacement covers for free during the warranty period.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Ah ha.... Good strategy Chief! Do they give you any trouble at all on the replacements? I've heard some people say they've had trouble with warranty coverage. Do you think I need a reel to remove the 15' X 35' solar blanket if it would only be removed occasionally?

At 6' wide a reel should support the 75' length. I would go with the 10mil cover though.

I would recommend a reel whatever size your cover is. Maybe if it were just a spa cover you may not need one but any size at all and I recommend one.

Hi SLand... I was wondering what solution you eventually chose?

I am in Austin and am in a similar situation -- pool will be 7' X 75' and I'd like a solar cover with reel.

Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.