FC 180 PPM!!!

rodjm

Oct 29, 2011
Okay guys been lurking for awhile and it has been alot of help, but now I need some advice. We have a new inground pool put in over the last 5 months ( Don't ask!! Its been a nightmare ) It was filled about two weeks ago but since there has been a issue with a leak we haven't officially opened it or closed it yet. (Although the water has turned a nice shade of green)

So my question is, today the pool company tried to clean the water by dumping very large amounts of liquid chlorine ( at least 4 big yellow jugs) into the pool so to kill the algae. I was curios of the FC level and tested, but needed to use the dilution method for Taylor 2006 of 1.8ml pool water diluted to 9ml with distilled. The FC is 180ppm!!!!!

Is this going to bleach the liner and ruin other parts of our brand new pool?

Thanks

Welcome to the forum :lol:

First, the dilution method loses so much accuracy once you go beyond a 50% dilution that I think it is almost worthless.

Secondly, tell us your CYA level. That plays a big part.

Last, tell us how many gallons are in your pool and tell us how much chlorine they put in. (gallons)

Thanks for the quick reply!

Pool Volume - 19,000 gallons

CL - 7-10 gallons (I wasn't there for the all of the chlorine adding but it was at least 4 large yellow jugs)
CYA - 0ppm because it was just filled and it will be closed as soon as they figure out the leak.
Ph - 8.0+
CH - 130ppm
AL - 100ppm

Water Temp 50F

How many gallons is the pool?

What water did you use to dilute with? If you used tap water, then it has chlorine and would mess-up your results.

Are you using FAS-DPD to test or regular DPD?

The pool is 19,000 gallons.

I have the Taylor 20006 test kit which I believe is FAS-DPD for chlorine. For the dilution I used filtered water that doesn't test for any FC.

Thanks

10 gallons of 12.5 % liquid chlorine will raise your FC by 66 ppm, which is way too high with no cyanuric acid.

You can use chlorine neutralizer from the pool store (sodium thiosulfate or sodium sulfite) or hydrogen peroxide to lower the FC.

You say that you used the 9 ml sample size, which is what is used for the regular DPD (5 drops of reagent R-0001 then 5 drops of reagent R-0002).

FAS-DPD uses the 10-ml or the 25 ml sample size and 2 scoops of R-0870 then count the drops of R-0871 until the color changes from pink to colorless.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Whatever damage may have been done to your liner has likely already been done and with no CYA in the pool, the FC will come down very rapidly from loss to the sun.

You could neutralize the remaining FC but it may be too late. Perhaps there was no damage at all, however. You should be able to tell very quickly if your liner has faded.

I would discuss this issue with whoever put the FC in there and get something in writing covering premature liner bleaching.

As said above, the damage, if there is any, is already done. Depending on how much algae and how strong the sun was when they dumped it in, there may not have been enough FC left in a few minutes to do much damage at all. I would take Dave's advice and contact the service company and ask for a written statement about any future damage.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.