Getting Cartridge Filter... What Size?

Oct 3, 2011
Hello! :wave:

I'm in the final stages of my pool build (See thread "My Pool Build - St. Charles, MO") and am down to selecting my filter size. I'm debating between the Clean and Clear Plus 420, and the Clean and Clear 200. The money difference is not a primary concern.

As I see it:
Pro's of 420:
-Larger square footage, less cleaning

Con's of 420:
-4 Cartridges = more $ when I replace them and more cleaning at the end of the season
-Lid perhaps a bit more difficult to get off
-Takes up more space on my pad

Info on my pool can be seen in my signature. I live in Missouri and therefore only get about 5 months of usable time and I a moderate amount of large debris...

Please weigh in with your opinion... 420 or the 200.

Thanks!

Cartridges, decently cared for, should last about 3-5 years. The 200's cartridge will be subjected to a significantly higher load that will shorten it's life. The 420 is the better choice. It will filter more effectively and for longer periods.

Scott

With a smaller cartridge filter, you have to clean it more frequently. The only advantage it has is that with a single cart system it can be easier to clean so some people prefer that, but having a larger multi-cart system that you need to clean less frequently is preferred by many (including myself). I have a Jandy CL340 for my 16,000 gallon pool that I only need to clean once a year. There is no question that it is a PITA to clean with its 4 cartridges, but I'd rather do that only once a year and, as was noted, have the cartridges last longer before needing to be replaced. I have an electric safety cover that keeps the pool relatively clean which helps as well. Most of what gets caught in the filter seems to be suntan lotion. Before we cut down a cedar tree near the pool, there were lots of cedar needles also caught in the filter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.