Need advice. Pros/Cons solid vs. mesh cover...

Newbie looking for cover advice. My pool is small so expense is low on all of these covers. I don't have any trees near the pool or leaf issues. I am leaning towards a mesh cover so that rainwater will refill pool and I would expect that I wouldn't have to deal with pumping water off of the cover.
What are the plus and minus factors for mesh vs. solid covers? Recommendations appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave

Mesh covers let the pool get noticeably dirtier over the winter and have a higher chance of algae getting started. They do allow rain water into the pool, though that can be a problem if you get too much rain and the water level goes too high. Also, it is possible to pump water from a solid cover back into the pool, if you are concerned about getting as much rain water as possible, which gives you more control. Micro mesh covers minimize nearly all of these issues, as much less light and much less debris get through the micro mesh. Solid covers really need a cover pump or enough attention to get excess water off the cover when needed.

I would recommend Loop Loc's Ultra Loc II with mesh drain panels. The cover doesn't need a pump and the pool stays much cleaner than a mesh cover. Never had any issues with algae on an opening of an Ultra Loc II yet.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I have a standard reinforced Vinyl / "solid" pool cover with a fair amount of trees nearby.

The cover is very heavy and cumbersome to install. I need at least 2 others to help put the cover on and it's still a bear.
Water also collects on different areas of the cover so a pump in one spot is not effective. I resort to moving the pump around by using a long skimmer pole....it's a pain.

I'm seriously considering some type of mesh cover when I replace.

We have a Loop-Loc mesh cover. It does let some pollen in. On the plus side it is possible (though non-optimal of course) for me alone to drag that baby up a flight of stairs, out to the pool, and put it on by myself. The pool is 16 x 40.

Lana

Donna, I've seen a few, like the Loop-Loks, but the ones I have a bunch of experience are the Cover Logic 'Sunblock weave' made by Vyn-All in N.H. {caveat on the irregular shaped pools, the overlap tends to vary, so a little extra attention is required to get one to fit correctly :wink: }

None the less, they are great covers :goodjob:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.